Blocking Techniques in Knitting
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
Why spend all that time knitting a garment, only to stop short of making it look great! Blocking is an essential part of finishing your garment off perfectly. Blocking evens out your stitches, sets your size, and in some cases can even mask your mistakes.
Patty has spent years teaching thousands of students to consider the importance of every step of knitting, such as yarn selection, gauge and blocking.
In this webinar we will go over the three main methods of blocking (wet, steam and spray) and learn how to use all the tools such as blocking boards and wires. We will go over the importance of blocking your swatch and how we make choose our blocking method.
We’ll also discuss blocking unusual shapes, special stitch patterns, as well as learn a bit about different fiber properties. Come on, don’t stop short of the perfect finish!
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- Learn how to choose your blocking method.
- Learn how to wet block, steam block and spray bottle block.
- Master proper use of tools such as blocking board, wires, tailors ham, seaming roll, wooly board and more.
- Explore how different fibers react differently to blocking methods.
- Discover how to avoid common blocking mistakes that can ruin your garment.
- Learn how to block unusual shapes as well as shaped garments.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Knitters or crocheters who are new to blocking.
- Experienced knitters or crocheters who have not been happy with their blocking results
- Knitters or crocheters who want to learn more about fiber properties.
- Knitters or crochetrs who have always used the same method to block (with not always the best results).
- Knitters and crocheters who have never used blocking wires.
- Knitters and crocheters who want to learn how to block unusual shapes
- Knitters and crocheters who want to avoid blocking disasters.
- Knitters and crocheters who want their project to come out perfect every time!
PATTY LYONS (http://pattylyons.com/) is a nationally recognized knitting teacher and technique expert who is known for teaching the “why” not just the “how” in her pursuit of training the “mindful knitter”. She specializes in sweater design and sharing her love of the much-maligned subjects of gauge and blocking.
After deciding to leave her previous life as a Broadway stage manager to follow her passion and work in the knitting world, Patty spent seven years working for yarn stores and yarn companies.
Patty now teaches nationally at guilds & knitting shows around the country such as Vogue Knitting LIVE, STITCHES, and the Knit and Crochet Show (the official show of TKGA and CGOA), Patty’s popular classes can also be found online at Knitting Daily (Interweave Press) and Craftsy, and her “Improve Your Knitting Class” was named Craftsy’s most popular class of 2013!
Patty designs and knitting skill articles have been published in Interweave Knits, Vogue Knitting, Knitter’s Magazine, Cast On, Knit Style, Knit 1,2,3 and Creative Knitting magazines, where she also writes a knitter’s advice column called “Patty’s Purls of Wisdom”. Patty’s designs have also been included in pattern collections from Classic Elite, Kollage, Takhi Stacy Charles, Universal and Noro.
|Product Type||Video Download|
- Very Informative
- I am finding the webinar very informative. I am not sure I like the platform for the class; however, I am learning a lot. I gave the class 4 stars due to the extra noise in the background. It is very distracting to hear Ms. Lyons turning pages in a book or note papers in the background. (Posted on 7/14/2016)
- Excellent information
This is an excellent class in many respects. Patty Lyons is one of my favorite knitting instructors. She explains things in a simple manner that is easy to understand, and she is also very personable and easy to listen to. The class includes pretty much everything you will ever need to know about blocking, all presented in a well-organized format. She goes into a lot more detail than other instructors I've heard, explaining why you do what you do. She is generous with her tips and techniques, some of which are quite clever. By the end of this class, you will understand it all, and you’ll be able to block anything you make.
The only reason I didn’t give this 5 stars is that it is not actually a video of Patty teaching and demonstrating blocking. It is a video of a PowerPoint presentation with text and photos, and Patty is doing the voiceover. Although you do get Patty’s personality shining through as well as really helpful text and photos on the slides, you don’t get to see anything demonstrated by an actual person. In addition, the audio for this class is not great. At times, it sounds as if Patty is speaking from inside a tunnel. Like all of the videos I’ve ever bought from the Interweave store, this one offers no way of jumping to a particular section, either. However, Patty included title slides for new topics, so you can use your cursor to drag across the video’s timeline and see thumbnails of what the video is showing at any particular point to help you identify where the topic you want comes up.
This video is so comprehensive and explanatory. I feel much more confident about my blocking skills now that I’ve heard the concepts explained so well. I think that for the price it’s an excellent purchase and very informative.
(Posted on 1/15/2016)
- Patty Lyons is a great teacher
I learned a lot about blocking. Very informative.
I really like Patty Lyons very much and how she explains things.
Thanks Patty for your great work and help.
Although this time I can give only 4 stars as I do not prefer a webinar. (Posted on 1/6/2016)
- Patty Lyons is Fabulous!!!
I had never watched a knitting webinar, but since I have taken both of Patty Lyons' Craftsy classes and got SO much out of those, I thought I would try this. Patty has such a clear and concise way of explaining what to do and why to do it. She has a great sense of timing and silly sense of humor that keeps to view interested and engaged. After taking this webinar, I went back and blocked projects that I never bothered to block, including my first sweater, which I only wore once, because it was "off"… Anyhow, after properly blocking it, it fit SO much better! I was amazed! I will wear it now.
I would really recommend taking this webinar to anyone who has not learned to block. It is a great and inexpensive way to learn that last little (and vital) step in creating beautiful handknit items! (Posted on 8/22/2014)
- My knitting went from good to fabulous!
This webinar answered all my blocking questions. On top of learning the essentials of blocking, I got to see several kinds of blocking boards, learned how to use the different blocking tools like the blocking wires and needles, and how to approach the different fibers, when it comes to blocking.
This perfectly completes the "Secret of Yarn Substitution" webinar, another great presentation with Patty Lyon. I've blocked 2 garments since I saw the webinar, and they went from good to... fabulous. Thanks, Patty! (Posted on 5/3/2014)
- Very helpful
- I learned a good deal during this webinar. I've never taken the time to black a piece before and though I've read about how to block I found Patty's explanations very helpful. She went over the pitfalls of blocking and showed pictures of lots of projects. The webinar boosted my confidence in my knitting technique (I've been working on a hemp/cotton sweater and the unevenness of my stitches was disappointing enough to put the project down for a few months!) and inspired my to experiment and take my projects to the next step. Like she said, it isn't finished until it's frosted. Thanks Patty! (Posted on 4/27/2014)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed. To access and save your download please follow these instructions:
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner on this website
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click “Welcome, (your name)!” in the upper right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on “My Downloadable Products” *If you have purchased an online course, click "My Courses"
- Underneath the Product title will be the download link, click the link to view the PDF or Video
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click “Save”
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org
Digital Courses and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner on this website.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click “Welcome, (your name)!” in the upper right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on “My Courses”
- Click the button to the right of the Product Title labeled "Go To Course”
- This will open the course and video platform and place you in the dashboard.
- Under My Courses or My Videos you should see your recent purchase.
- Click the Start Course or Start Video button to the right to access your product.