Bags With Paper And Stitch Innovative Surface Techniques for Embellishing Bags
Explore the art of papermaking and how to transform these distinctive papers into unique, one-of-a-kind handbags embellished using modern techniques. Fiber artist Isobel Hall showcases dozens of exquisite handmade bags and her methods for achieving success in Bags with Paper and Stitch.
Beginners in the art of papermaking will revel in Hall's ideas and use of materials. The author shares her secrets for creating bags from various types of papers and materials, including silk cocoon strippings, linen, flax, merino, paper clay, Translucent Liquid Sculpey, and much more. Learn how to personalize bags with brooches, charms, trinkets and other found objects, how to use embossing enamels and metals on paper fabric, embellishing bags with stump work, crewel work, embossed metals, and where to find various types of handles to finish off your bag.
Photos of these beautiful bags are followed by thorough recipe lists and step-by-step instructions. Examples of bags include the Rustic Newspaper Bag created from layers of newspaper and furnishing fabric, aged and distressed to give an organic feel; the Malachite and Azurite Shoulder Bag created from a brown paper bag embellished with metallic thread, beads, wool, thread and ribbons; and the Primitive Clutch Bag, made from felt-finish paper, coffee granules, shoe polish, sewing thread, and dye.
Bags with Paper and Stitch is intended as a starting point and guide to experimentation-learn new techniques and take them in a new direction. Soon you'll be creating new bags all on your own!
Reviews: "Every time I thought I had picked a favorite bag, I turned the page and changed my mind! With the growing popularity of going green... the bags in this book are a recycler's dream."-BellaOnline PaperCrafts
"An ideal book for both beginners and seasoned crafters alike. These bags are truly works of art!"-Kliatt
|Number Of Pages||128|
- Can say but very disappointed
Since I cannot purchase this book or others from this site, as they will not post to Australia I am at a loss why, as other bookshops do so the fact that the publisher will not allow does not really wash
Pity (Posted on 12/27/2013)
- Great Inspiration!
- I suppose one's reaction to the book has a great deal to do with expectations. I bought the book for inspiration, to nudge me to experiment with new techniques and push me outside my box. Since I didn't expect it to contain detailed instructions for each bag, I wasn't disappointed at all. On the contrary, I take it out every now and then to remind myself of various techniques I haven't yet tried, techniques which can be used in a variety of ways, not only in the construction of handbags. (Posted on 6/9/2012)
- Bags with Paper and Stitch: Innovative Surface Techniques for Embellishing Bags
- This is a beautiful book. Lovey pitures of the bags and embellishments to be made. The entire book is based on making the bags with the handmade silk paper yet only one page and no pictures is devoted to making the paper. Little is explained on the supplies needed, like the silk fibers. The bags made are beautiful but most do not include any patterns or even the size to cut the paper and the author assumes you know how to sew. It would have been nice that using one purse, pictues of the different stages in making it would have made this a close to perfect how to book. This is a good book for a more advanced crafter who can do a lot of figuring out without step by step instructions or patterns. I give it 3 stars for the beautiful ideas and craftmanship of the bags and tags. A great idea book, but not a step by step how to book. (Posted on 6/25/2011)
- Really, this book is gorgeous. The bags are wonderful. The materials list is daunting, and although I didn't price it out, I can imagine that the cost to get started isn't insignificant. Then there is the time to become as good at this process as the artist who wrote the book. I'd like to see some of her earlier work, as the items photoed in the book came after years of experimentation. <sigh> So I'll keep the book around for inspiration. (Posted on 4/15/2011)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.