Art of Everyday Photography
You’ll love this photography book if:
- You are a beginner in the world of photography and wanting to learn more
- You love taking both DSLR and mobile photography
- You're looking for interesting photo shoot ideas & skill-enhancing photography exercises
It’s no longer about taking photos but about making photos! Abandon your camera’s auto mode and discover the depths of your artistic vision when you learn how to use the manual controls on your DSLR and mobile cameras.
With the Art of Everyday Photography by Susan Tuttle you’ll increase your confidence in using your DSLR camera through easy-to-understand and thorough instructions. Uncover helpful tips for exposure (how aperture works, shutter speed and ISO work together), metering modes, dealing with tricky lighting situations, white balance, composition possibilities, breaking rules for creative reasons and useful accessories. Once you have a clear understanding of the settings of your camera, apply the information to several types of photography for artistic still-life scenes, landscapes, treasures in nature, portraits and more.
In addition to gaining a better understanding of your DSLR camera, this book will take a look into the world of mobile photography. Discover the best apps and settings for making top-notch and creative photos that will surely capture the perfect moment without lugging your DLSR and lenses around.
Inside Art of Everyday Photography you’ll find:
- Inspiration for stunning works and advice from 15 top digital photographers: Christina Nordam Andersen, Daniel Berman, Lara Blair, David Booker, Edger Cuevas, Tracy Clark, Susannah Conway, Dilshad Corleone, Susanna Gordon, Thomas Kakareko, Erin Little, Vivienne McMaster, Cindy Patrick, Celine Steen, and Melissa Vincent
- Numerous tips for using your smartphone’s camera as well as the lowdown on the coolest photo apps
- The best methods for capturing portraits, your favorite food, landscapes, still-life scenes and more
A Word from the Author
“This book is all about choices. You get to learn at your own pace and shoot in any mode that is most comfortable for you at the time. There will be lots of helpful tips to support you along the way, to meet you right where you are, as well as encourage you to grow in your craft. You will actually start to see improvement in your photography immediately, just by applying a few new tips from this book. And the more you learn and apply, the better your photos will become. Always remember that shooting from the gut is and always will be the most important factor in making photographs that capture beauty and truly move people. If you knew how to best use your tool in conjunction with your artistic intuition, think how amazing your photography could be.” --Susan Tuttle
About the Author
Maine digital SLR photographer and iPhoneographer Susan Tuttle has written three previous books with North Light Books: Photo Craft: Creative Mixed-Media and Digital Approaches to Transforming Your Photographs (2012, coauthored with Christy Hydeck), Digital Expressions: Creating Digital Art With Adobe Photoshop Elements (2010) and Exhibition 36: Mixed-Media Demonstrations and Explorations (2008).
Her mobile photography has won many awards and recognitions from venues like the prestigious American Aperture Awards (AX3) and Mobile Photography Awards. Susan’s iPhoneography has been exhibited internationally in London, New York City, Prague and Paris. In addition to authoring her own books, Susan is a frequent contributor to Stampington & Company publications and other North Light books. She was recently named technical advisor for Somerset Digital Studio magazine.
Susan shares her passion for photography and iPhoneography through online photography, iPhoneography and Photoshop/photo-editing workshops.
Chapter 1: Make Better Photos Right Now
How Your Digital SLR Works (The Very Basics)
How to Use This Book, A Stepping-Stone Model
Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO--Exposure’s Magic Three
The Light Meter
Susan’s Top Tips for Making Awesome Photos Right Now
All About Lenses
Program AE (Automatic Exposure) Mode
CHAPTER 2: Take Creative Control of Your Digital SLR
Metering Modes and Exposure Compensation
Achieving Clear Focus and Sharp Photos
Semiautomatic Exposure Modes: Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority
The Creative Camera Model for Shooting in Manual
CHAPTER 3: Portraits
My Top Portrait Tips for Single Subjects
Capturing Spirit Through the Lens: A Chat With Maine Photographer Erin Little
Successful Group Portraits
Masters of Mobile Portraiture: iPhoneographers David Booker and Edi Caves
CHAPTER 4: Still-Life & Food Photography
Infuse the Everyday With Life
Still-Life Mobile Photographer: Cindy Patrick’s Go-To Apps and Unique Editing Process
Top Tips From a Food Stylist: Food Photographer Celine Steen
CHAPTER 5: Landscape & Nature Photography
Landscape Subject Ideas
Landscape Tips and Techniques
Nature Tips and Techniques
Capturing Landscapes and Nature With Mobile Devices: Photography Tips by Daniel Berman and Melissa Vincent
CHAPTER 6: Everyday Life & Travel Photography
Your Amazing Everyday Life
The Art of the Everyday: Tips From Tracey Clark and Susannah Conway
The Story of Your Travels
Mobile Street Photography Masters: Advice From Christina Nørdam Andersen, Thomas Kakareko and Dilshad Corleone
Mobile Photo Wall of Fame
|Number Of Pages||144|
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.