Andean Spinning with Nilda Callanaupa Alvarez DVD
Discover a new world of Andean spinning with Nilda Callañaupa Alveraz!
Learn how to spin in a whole new way with this spinning workshop video. Whether you are brand new to spinning or are a seasoned student, there is something engaging and appealing for everyone.
Nilda Callañaupa Alvarez, a native of Peru, has become known in her own country and throughout the world as a champion for traditional Andean textiles.
With the simplest of tools, Andean spinners create yarn for their exquisite knitted and woven textiles with awe-inspiring skill and speed.
In this spinning video, Nilda introduces us to the spinning techniques and traditions of the Andes, from fiber preparation to finishing.
You'll learn about:
- Traditional Andean drop spindles
- Preparation of wool and alpaca fibers for spinning
- The Andean double-drafting technique for both drop spinning and support spinning
- Three ways to ply spindle-spun yarn
- Yarn preparation for knitting and weaving
As she demonstrates, Nilda talks with Interweave founder Linda Ligon about the textile traditions, customs, and beliefs of her native Peru.
Celebrate this rich and living heritage by joining Nilda and Linda to spin and chat as Andean women have done for thousands of years.
You will love this video if:
- You want to learn new spinning techniques steeped in ethnic tradition
- You are curious about spinning traditions from around the world
- You enjoy learning about different cultures through their textiles
Don't miss this opportunity to experience the world of Andean spinning! Dive into new spinning realms and learn something new along the way!
|Author/Designer||Nilda Callanaupa Alvarez|
- I have learned much from this video even though I have been spinning for over 30 years. Anyone who uses a spindle should watch this. (Posted on 6/2/2013)
- Fabulous Information
- Loved spending time with Nilda Callañaupa Alvarez on this video. So much is learned by just watching her work. We get everything from spinning with the drop spindle to how to prepare the singles for dying and washing. Jam packed with knowledge and culture. (Posted on 5/17/2013)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.