Alden Amos Big Book of Handspinning Information Advice and Opinion on the Noble Art & Craft
Wheel designer and maintainer of textile traditions, Alden Amos the recipient and evaluator of traditional wisdom lets no point go unexamined. This is truly a BIG book offering decades of experience in making and handling yarn. He'll change your spinning for the better, whether you agree with him or not.
"Amos, who has been making spinning wheels and studying handspinning for more than 40 years, has finally distilled this experience into a definitive book deserving of its title."--Library Journal
"A great and entertaining read.... informative and funny with plenty of light-hearted humor thrown in that I found refreshing with the very technical nature of the book."-Spindle and Wheel
|Number Of Pages||480|
|File/Trim Size||1.5 x 7.2 x 9 inches|
|Technique||Drop Spindle, Spinning Wheels|
- Whilst this isn't a book I'd recommend to a beginner spinner it is a book I'd recommend to any spinner who expressed an interest in exploring the art and craft of spinning in depth. It's a book that you can either read from cover to cover or use as an encyclopaedia to explore a topic further. Alton Amos is a Master in the University of Spinning, the sort that you either love or really can't get on with, but no matter what your opinion of him, he is a Master with a massive body of knowledge that is fascinating to explore. I hesitated to buy this book because of the ratings varied so much, I wish I hadn't waited as long as I did, it's the most complete work on Spinning I've found and It has become a valued member of my library along with other, lighter, works. (Posted on 1/10/2016)
- Still a key reference to have
- This is not something you'll want to read cover to cover, necessarily. It's a reference, and as such, it's still the best I know of on the subject. (Posted on 7/11/2015)
- When is this book going to be turned into an Ebook please. I've read and heard from many people that it's a must have book for spinners. (Posted on 1/6/2014)
- Not as impressive as I'd hoped
- I wouldn't recommend this book at all to someone new to spinning. Though it contains some useful information, and apparently was intended to be an instruction manual, it really doesn't function very well as such. For the more experienced spinner, it can be a useful reference book, or for the beginner who already has the basics down and is seeking more detailed information on a specific topic. Be forewarned: Amos DOES clearly state in the subtitle that it is a "compendium of information, advice, and opinions..." and it is best treated as such, a highly opinionated encyclopedia rather than a learning tool. While I enjoyed his often whimsical humor, I less enjoyed his tendency to set up a straw argument in order to target it with snide comments. This will find a place on my fibre bookshelf, but there are several other books that I've found more useful overall. The glossery is quite good, if eccentric. (Posted on 6/27/2012)
- The Alden Amos Big Book of Handspinning
- This is a great reference for the beginner to expert spinner. When I am in doubt as how to proceed with a task or how something is supposed to work on my new wheel, I check with this book . It also comes in handy for in put at our spinning group. If there is a question we consult The Big Book. This book will remain on my book shelf as long as I am a spinner. (Posted on 10/8/2011)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.