Adventures in Surface Design: Screen Printing & Beyond (Video Download)
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
Learn Kerr's basic strategies for quick and successful mark making, and use them to develop your own unique vocabulary. Kerr starts by providing a thorough introduction to basic screen printing and an overview of her favorite materials. You will learn to make and use paper stencils; discover how to design an overall pattern using a simple repeat; and create simple two-color prints. All of these techniques are methods for creating simple background images that can be worked back into. Then, using media such as Caran d'Ache Neocolor pencils, pastels, and more, Kerr demonstrates how to make this "fugitive" media permanent on fabric and other substrates. Finally, you'll learn how to work back into your pieces, as Kerr shares tips from her vast experience for adding just the right final touches. Learn quick and accessible strategies for making marks that speak to you, and start expressing yourself in your artwork.
|Product Type||Video Download|
- One to watch again and again
You know an art video is good when you can watch it multiple times and still be gleaning something from it.
Unlike many videos, this isn't one giant infomercial. In fact, it teaches you how to take products you probably own for art on canvas and paper and very simply adapt them for use in fabric. Kerr encourages the pack rat in all of us as she uses found materials to make interesting marks.
Many mixed media videos featuring fabric are done assuming you will never wash the product. If you want to make an art quilt that you can launder, this clearly sets out how to make each product permanent.
Some videos are 'light' on content for their duration. This one has many tips and gems. It's a keeper!
(Posted on 8/20/2015)
- Great Instructional Video
- From beginning to finish, this artist reviews the techniques and products in this adventure of screen printing. I am eager to take it on and see what I can come up with - loved it! (Posted on 6/17/2014)
- This video is well worth getting. Kerr presents the information well, demonstrates the techniques and shares her thought processes as she goes along. Her enthusiasm and clear expression of what she decides is a success and how to work with something one does not feel is so successful. I have seen so many videos where the presenter says just play, just have fun and although that is freeing if one is to learn a new technique it helps to have some parameters of "the box" in order to think and work out of it. This video provides that without being rigid. Thank you Kerr!!! (Posted on 1/18/2014)
- Too Short for what I paid
- I wish I had waited and got this on sale. The information is really quite good, but I felt it was way too short and too little for what I'd paid. At the current sale price, it's excellent! (Posted on 12/30/2013)
- Excellent instruction and infinite inspiration
- Kerr is an excellent teacher both in person and on her DVDs, and this one is no exception. It is clear, concise, and chock-full of techniques. If you have any desire to add color to your fabric, this DVD will inspire you. The only thing I would have added was a more extensive gallery. If you have both of Kerr's DVDs you have enough instruction for infinite inspiration to create painterly work on fabric. (Posted on 6/10/2013)
- It's like this technique has been waiting for me my whole life!
- When I first watched this video, it was like an entire world of mark making on fabric that I had been waiting for all my life was suddenly was available to me. The techniques that Ms. Grabowski shares in this video are unbelievably easy, fun and fast, and allow you to make extremely beautiful, unplanned images on fabric with all sorts of unexpected media normally restricted to the world of paper, and then make them PERMANENT. I was so excited about these techniques, and also very worried that they wouldn't work as well as I hoped, that I put off trying them for two weeks, as if there were a wonderful magic spell I might break, but now I've tried drawing on fabric with a variety of media, and the silkscreen-based techniques covered in this video work with all of them. Also, Kerr Grabowski is an extremely engaging, thorough and positive teacher and I really enjoyed hearing her positive approach! (Posted on 12/30/2011)
- What a blast!
- I have purchased several videoes and books, read up a lot on different printing techniques online etc - but this one bought yesterday is by far my new favourite source of inspiration and pure creative joy! She has the perfect mix of know how and laidback, teaching and enthusing. If you are going to buy one testdrive download for mixed media this is it. If you are someone who has always drawn and painted etc your house is probably filled with materials already as is mine. I have ordered the GAC 900 from Artifolk and cannot wait to try all this out! Now I only wish there was a downloadable version of the deconstructed of hers... *Hint, hint* (Posted on 9/21/2011)
- Very informative and inspiring. Kerr Grabowski goes through ways to apply a variety of watersoluble and dry media onto cloth both directly and through a screen. She must do a lot of experimenting and shares the results of her experiments, including tips on what not to do and why not. Apart from the colorants (textile acrylic, Neocolor II, etc.) many of her texturizing materials are everyday objects like cardboard cutout stencils, newspaper, and lace from a garage sale. Offers good tips on making and preserving your screen. I really enjoyed it and feel eager to try the various methods myself. (Posted on 6/11/2011)
- Excellent program, definitely worth the time and money
- I had never heard of Kerr Grabowski before, but what a wonderful introductory program. Gives enough details to be able to explore the design techniques demonstrated without being so overwhelming as to scare one off. I love this program (Posted on 12/28/2010)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.