Acrylic Mark Making for Encaustic Effects DVD
Discover how to use acrylics to mimic the distinctive look of beeswax--without an encaustic studio! Create a whimsical butterfly painting from start to finish. Draw, carve, and play to create a unique and deeply textured surface all your own.
Get the look of encaustic with acrylic!
In Cathy Nichols' Acrylic Mark Making for Encaustic Effects video, you'll learn how to use acrylics to mimic the distinctive look of beeswax--without an encaustic studio! Cathy demonstrates how to create a whimsical butterfly painting from start to finish, from underpainting to finishing touches. Along the way, you'll learn how to create a strong, interesting composition, as well as how to add focus and balance to your work with clever color choices. Next, you'll add the magic layer: thick and dimensional heavy gel medium, the perfect alternative to encaustic! You'll draw, carve, and play to create a unique and deeply textured surface all your own. Finally, Cathy shares her color techniques for adding a moody and dramatic finishing touch!
In this video you will:
- Use collaged butterflies and white gesso to create a strong underpainting
- Carve tiny details with a rubber-tipped brush
- Preserve your unique brushstrokes in your work
- Make your marks pop and give your painting a vignette look with a layer of dark oil paint
Watch a preview of this video here:
About the Artist
Cathy Nichols' "stories in paint" combine her dual background in literature and art, expressing mystery, emotion and storytelling in paint. Cathy lives in Asheville, NC, but her painted narratives have touched audiences worldwide. She is the author of the North Light book Storytelling Art Studio: Visual Expressions of Character, Mood and Theme Using Mixed Media.
- 8" x 8" cradled wood panel
- Acrylic paints (Fluorescent Pink, Quinacridone Magenta, Cadmium Orange, Hansa Yellow, Anthraquinone Blue, Phthalo Blue (Green Shade), Light Blue Permanent (from Liquitex Soft Bodied line), Teal, Titanium White, Paynes Gray)
Other Tools and Materials
- Several butterfly collage sheets (featuring 3 different sizes of butterflies)
- Acrylic heavy gel medium
- Wax paper
- White gesso
- 1 small foam brush
- 1 natural bristle brush about 1-2 inches in diameter
- 1/4" flat brush or #2 round
- Spray bottle of water
- Rubber-tipped tool
- Paper towels
- 1" flat wash brush
- Water container
Order your copy of Acrylic Mark Making for Encaustic Effects today!
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.