A Knitter's Guide to Yarn
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
A Knitter's Guide to Yarn
Web Seminar with Kate Atherley
The right yarn choice can be all the difference between a garment you’ll wear and proud of, and something that never sees the light of day. This web seminar will help you become a better yarn shopper and a more confident knitter with better finished projects.
With this web seminar, join designer Kate Atherley, you'll talk yarn thickness, weight and gauge, demystifying all the different categorizations: it is a #4, a worsted or an aran? What’s a DK and how does it relate to a sportweight? And why is a fingering weight yarn not always a sock yarn? You'll learn an easy way to check your gauge and provide solutions for what to do if you can’t match the pattern.
With Kate's webinar, you'll discuss different fiber types—animal fibers, plant fibers and man-made fibers—how to best use and take care of them. Plus, Kate will explain how a wool is made ‘superwash’ and how to properly use and take care of it. She’ll tackle the tricky topic of yarn choices for those with fiber allergies and sensitivities, and show you how to choose the right fiber for the right type of project. Kate will share her significant experience as a designer and yarn shop employee to help you make the right decisions for your specific project and your specific needs.
Along the way you'll learn the value of blocking – and how easy is actually is! And Kate will share solutions for protecting your stash and projects from moths.
No matter what types of fibers you work with, this seminar can help you!
With this web seminar, you'll learn:
- How to choose the best yarn for your project
- How to identify and understand yarn thicknesses & terminologies
- How fiber type affects your project
- Guidelines for using variegated, self-striping and hand-dyed yarns
- What gauge actually means and how to make sure you get it
- Strategies for yarn substitutions: what to do when you can’t use the yarn the pattern calls for
- Proper fiber care and how to block different types of yarns and projects
- And more!
Who should download?:
- New knitters who are just starting to work from patterns
- Knitters looking to feel more confident about yarn substitution
- Knitters who need to deal with yarn allergies or sensitivities
- Knitters who do most of their yarn shopping online
Kate is a knitting teacher, designer and author based in Toronto. Although she’s all about wool, and has been known to wear Lopi next to her skin, one of her best knitting friends is allergic to wool. She’s lead technical editor for Knitty.com, and she teaches all over North America. You’ll see her next at Interweave’s Yarn Fest in April 2015, and her book on Custom Fit socks comes out the Summer of 2015.
|Product Type||Video Download|
- Good info for beginners
- Valuable information for beginners only. Presenter is well spoken and knowledgeable. However the slides were not loaded at the same time that the presenter was speaking about them. (Posted on 7/6/2015)
- Quite OK
This webinar was mildly informative. I think it's worth the money, but only if one would like to know the take of an experienced knitter and teacher on the different types of fibres.
And, if you take the live webinar, remember: DON'T ask the difference between mohair and cashmere. It's just not polite. Do your own research beforehand, people! (Posted on 3/30/2015)
- This webinar was disappointing in that it didn't really tell me anything I couldn't have picked up from a basic knitting book or common sense. Therefore I didn't feel it was worth the money.The slides presented did not load at the right time so the presenter was always talking about slides not actually showing at the time. It would be good for a seriously clueless beginner but not for anyone who already has a little experience with knitting. (Posted on 2/26/2015)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.