A Handknit Romance 22 Vintage Designs with Lovely Details
Designer Jennie Atkinson's attention to detail in each piece makes for a gorgeous collection of unique, precious garments that reflect today's vogue for vintage-inspired fashion. A Handknit Romance offers beautiful projects that range from small accessories to full-size garments and suit beginner and seasoned knitters alike. Plus, this knitting resource has great advice on yarn substitutions as well as tips on how the patterns can be customized to fit all sizes.
A Handknit Romance is the ideal design book for knitters who embrace creativity and the want to produce truly unique pieces.
|Number Of Pages||136|
|File/Trim Size||0.8 x 7.5 x 9.8 inches|
- I love it
- I bought this book for one pattern. But all patterns are beautiful! And what a surprise to see the book's quality! I though I'll receive an ordinary magazine, made of glaced paper, but it's a book made of thick paper with an high quality's photos. I adore it. (Posted on 4/20/2016)
The book is really beautiful and the patterns are very feminine. I haven't knitted anything from the book so far, but reading over the patterns they seem very easy to follow.
I look forward to using this book often. I only gave it four stars, because I have not knitted anything out of it yet, but most likely will before the end of the year. (Posted on 1/2/2014)
- A Handknit Romance by Jennie Atkinson
- I've been watching movies about the early 20th century lately, and one of the biggest draws for me is admiring the fashions. The soft drape of natural fibers such as silk and satin, the well-defined shapes of cottons and linen, all contributing to delicate, feminine designs that display intricate, delicate handwork. Atkinson recreates this vintage style but also draws the reader/knitter into seeing the elements of yarn, color, shape, drape, finishes, and embellishment as ways to turn any knitted garment or accessory into a unique object with vintage appeal. To emphasize innovation before you even begin perusing the patterns, Atkinson follows her introduction with a few pages of ideas on how to do exactly that, covering yarn substitutions, color swapping, embroidery and crochet finishing techniques, beads, buttons, ribbons, dyeing, and more. Each pattern includes a picture of the Vintage fashion that inspired the design, so the reader gradually learns how to find such inspiration and match it with a knitting technique that recreates the same look. It's one thing to admire and fall in love, and it's quite another thing to pick up the size 3 needles and cast on with fingering weight yarn, followed by learning a new lacy pattern. Most of these are not weekend knitting projects, unless you are content to knit into the next millennium with those few hours per week. However, there are enough patterns in thicker yarn, knit up on size 7 needles, to suggest how to gain the same feminine, vintage look in a quicker project. Follow Atkinson's suggestions and knit that dress in a shorter, tunic version. Add her embellishments and finishes to a sport weight yarn project. I'm working on a few designs myself, incorporating details of Atkinson's fitted jacket into a bag, adding beads to a neckline of a t-shirt, visualizing a cami in worsted weight cotton, knitting a skirt in worsted weight Merino. I'm learning how to design my creations to be exactly what I want them to be, after years of frustration with off-the-rack ready-to-wears and other designer's patterns never being quite right for my tastes. Thanks to Atkinson, I've got a few more tricks under my belt and my eye is keener. My own designs are already affected by the freedom I've gained from Atkinson's approach to adapting vintage fashion styles. (Posted on 6/3/2012)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.