Spin Off Call for Submissions: Summer 2018
Whether it’s indigo-dyed calico flapping in the Shanghai breeze, the bright primary colors of Scandinavian kitchens, or the green grass of England setting off the white locks of sheep, the color of fibers, yarns, and textiles is always linked to a place. Naturally dyed or not, color has an address. In this Call for Submissions, we’re looking for stories, how-to instructions, projects, and explorations of color in spinning, especially as it relates to a location. Summer is traditionally our travel theme; as we explore the broad subject of color and techniques for mastering it, tell us the story of its place.
As usual, the issue will be organized loosely around themes, but we welcome articles that don’t fit tidily into them. We may ask to hold something for a future issue, so don’t hesitate to submit what’s on your mind.
We are looking for:
- Feature articles—intriguing stories, profiles, history
- Handspun projects—instructions using knitting, weaving, crochet, or other techniques with handspun yarn
- How-to articles—tell us how it is done
Please include with your submission:
- For feature or how-to articles: a brief description and detailed outline, supporting images.
- For handpun projects: sketches and technical schematics (for garment); swatch of proposed stitch and sample of intended yarn (including details of weight and fiber). Your mailing address, phone number, and email address. Completed Submission Form.
- For articles: emailed submissions are highly encouraged.
Submissions due: August 23, 2017
We will notify you of our decision by: September 12, 2017
Accepted proposals due by: October 23, 2017
Featured Image: An Andean weaver from Cha’ri, about 150 km south of Cusco, Peru, checks wool dyed with natural products. Photo: JAIME RAZURI/AFP/Getty Images