The Millcroft Shawl: A Tale of Not Much Progress

If you’re a regular reader of the Interweave knitting blog, you know that I adore the Millcroft Shawl from knitscene Winter 2018 and that I was hoping to be done with it by New Year’s. You might ALSO know that most of my knitting goals are . . . loose. I’ve never finished a project on time, and my beloved Millcroft Shawl is no exception.

My first problem with this project was the holidays. I was actually making pretty good progress before they started, but then I took a long vacation around Thanksgiving. When I got back it was the Christmas season and life got crazy. Then I forgot to take this lovely knitted shawl with me when I went to visit my family over Christmas, which was really unfortunate because a) I lost a lot of great knitting time and b) this shawl would have been the perfect thing to knit on the gray and rainy Oregon coast.

 Photo by Harper Point Photography

Photo by Harper Point Photography

When I got back from Oregon, I was determined that if I couldn’t finish the shawl by New Year’s, I’d at least make good progress on it by that time. And I was largely successful, knitting about 50 rows with no trouble at all. But then: disaster.

I got a little distracted talking to my husband while knitting one night. I’m not entirely sure what happened, but I ended up with a stockinette section of the shawl on the wrong side. I didn’t realize it for a few rows (like I said, distracted), but when I did, I wasn’t sure what to do. Keep going and fix the mistake at the next color change? Rip back to the last point I knew to be correct and start again from there?

Clockwise from upper left: The right side of the shawl, a close-up of my mistake (the really big garter-stitch section at the top that should be a few rows of garter stitch and then a few rows of stockinette), the wrong side of the shawl, a close-up of the stockinette section that should be on the right side.

Clockwise from upper left: The right side of the shawl, a close-up of my mistake (the really big garter-stitch section at the top that should be a few rows of garter stitch and then a few rows of stockinette), the wrong side of the shawl, a close-up of the stockinette section that should be on the right side.

In most other projects, the obvious answer would be to rip back a few rows and correct the mistake, since this type of right-side, wrong-side error would be very obvious. But this shawl is really textured; would anyone even notice if I just kept going through the mistake and fixed it at the color change?

After hemming and hawing for a few days, I’ve decided to just leave the mistake and fix things at the next color change. No one will ever notice this mistake but me, and I’m trying to embrace the little (and not-so-little) mistakes in my knitting as part of the learning process.

So, I’m adding in a rogue knit row to get myself back on track and then moving on. I’m on Row 90 now, and that feels like real progress! At my pace I might not have my Millcroft Shawl done in time to wear it this winter, but as long as I’m enjoying the knitting, I’m OK with that.

I hope your current WIP is keeping you happy! Enjoy your winter knitting, whatever you’re working on.

Rachel

(Featured Image: Photo by Harper Point Photography)


Make the Millcroft Shawl and more:

 

Post a Comment