Knits Winter New & Notable: Beginner Yarn Dyeing
This product review originally appeared in Knits Winter 2016.
1. Learn the ins and outs of natural yarn dyeing with Kristine Vejar’s brand-new book, The Modern Natural Dyer: A Comprehensive Guide to Dyeing Silk, Wool, Linen, and Cotton at Home (Abrams, 2015). Also included in this visually stunning book are dyeing and pattern directions for modern knitting and sewing projects. www.averbforkeepingwarm.com
2. Halcyon Yarn Earthues Kits are perfect for someone trying out dyeing yarn for the first time. Choose from the Indigo Starter or Botanical Natural Dye Kits, which include the materials needed as well as instructions to create dyes in your own kitchen. Any other necessary tools, such as jars, spoons, kettles, and towels, are items you can find easily in your own home. (Bowl not included.) www.halcyonyarn.com
3. Ashland Bay offers ecru yarn skeins in a range of fiber contents and weights that are destined to be hand-dyed. This particular yarn, Klamath Superwash, is a 100% superwash merino wool yarn with an impressive put-up of 850 yards [777 meters] and nearing 9 ounces [250 grams]. Peruse the plethora of hand-dyeing yarn options at www.ashlandbay.com.
4. In the brand-new comprehensive Interweave video workshop Kitchen Dyeing: Dye Your Own Yarn with Everyday Ingredients, knitting instructor and yarn expert Tanis Gray guides you through the process of creating beautiful naturally dyed yarn in your own kitchen. Tanis walks you through the materials, set-up, and basic safety precautions, then through the steps that will help you produce one-of-a-kind colorways in your own home. Order your DVD or download the video at www.bit.ly/KitchenDyeing.
5. In this excellent two-DVD bundle, which includes Natural Dyeing and Overdyeing with Natural Dyes, master dyer Dagmar Klos teaches you the secrets of dyeing your fibers, yarns, and textiles with nature’s perfect palette. You’ll also learn how to create a full range of hues and tones using the process of overdyeing. www.bit.ly/NaturalDyeing