Stashing Your Yarn Stash: the Final Answer Is Here
|Sponsored| For months it sat, shame stuffed in a trash bag in the trunk of my car. Well, two trash bags, if we’re really being honest. My plan was a simple one: sneak it into the new apartment and stuff it in a closet without my boyfriend seeing. But even the simplest of plans are thwarted at times. That’s why we all need backup plans, especially when it comes to hiding your yarn stash from your loved ones.
Hiding a yarn stash is a tricky game. It has to be in a place only you access regularly but out of sight so you don’t reveal just how offensive the stash might be. A lot of information is out there, showing us ways to organize the problem away, providing tips on managing our stashes. At this point, all I need is a good way to hide it.
To help you decide how and where to best store your stash, I’ve explored some options for you. But there’s a final answer here, and I am sure you will agree with my suggestion.
• You have a lot of unused space in your car. You would finally be utilizing that space.
• If you turn them into yarn-people mannequins, you might be able to use the carpool lane. (Jokes, people. That is illegal.)
• You don’t have any trunk space.
• You have to make excuses so people won’t go looking in there.
• You can’t ever offer to drive.
• Someone could break in and steal your yarn. (An unlikely scenario, but it would be heartbreaking.)
• It’s out of sight.
• There’s ALWAYS a little more room in the closet.
• It can be hard to get to.
• It is easily discovered by the people you live with.
3. Basement (in tubs)
• Some basements have huge walls to fill with shelves of tubs containing yarn.
• It’s not very attractive.
• Basements sometimes have water and critter issues.
• You probably don’t want to knit there, so you’d have to go up and down the stairs to get yarn and supplies.
Your Final Answer
Unfortunately, living in my apartment strikes the basement and closet ideas off my list, and well, you heard how keeping it in my car went. But I have recently found, and have fallen in love with, these customizable storage furniture pieces from Go-Organize.com.
4. In any room of your home (in plain sight) with the Go-Organize.com storage cubes
• These things are gorgeous.
• There are cubes with and without doors (so you can showcase your prettiest skeins and hide the rest).
• You can expand them as your “collection” of yarn grows.
• They offer storage pieces to hold all of your tools (knitting needles, hooks, pattern books, etc.).
• All of the new units will work with the old ones.
• You don’t have to apologize for how unsightly your stash looks.
• You have the ability to make a whole crafting station over months or years.
• You can personalize the set to your space and taste.
• No more impromptu workouts of moving your tubs or trash bags of yarn around?
How do you stash your stash? What is the craziest way you’ve seen it done? Let us know in the comments!
Happy yarn stashing,
Assistant Editor, Interweave Knitting Titles