Wanted: Adventurous Knitters for a Mystery Knitalong

A good mystery makes your heart beat louder (and your needles click faster). If you need a little more of the unexpected in your life, I have just the thing for you: a mystery knitalong! Interweave has teamed up with Cascade Yarns and superdesigner Susanna IC to create a stunning—and mysterious—shawl pattern that we’ll reveal to you over the course of a month.

Get started with the first MKAL post here, and the second post here.
The third post can be found here.
The final post can be found here.

Never participated in a mystery knitalong? Here’s how it works.

Starting on June 5, 2018, and every Tuesday in June, we’ll release a portion of the pattern on our blog. There will be a total of four posts, and they’ll be free and accessible to everyone because we want you all to knitalong with us!

The pattern has been expertly divided into four parts by our crackerjack tech team, so you can be sure it will all come together beautifully in the end, and Susanna has written tutorials to accompany each portion of the pattern that will walk you through the knitting process.

knitalong

About the Yarn

The design calls for Cascade’s fabulous new Sorata Yarn, which is what Susanna used to knit the sample. Sorata is a luxurious 70% llama, 30% silk blend that is delightfully soft and has great drape and subtle sheen—perfect for a shawl. The knitalong kits are the result of a creative partnership with the crafty folks at Cascade.  Kits in 3 different colorway options are available in the Interweave store, but checking out your Local Yarn Store inventory is also another option – I bet you won’t be the only one trying to source this lovely yarn.

There are three base colors—gray, navy, and charcoal—in every kit, plus a fourth skein in the color of your choice (teal, scarlet, or yellow). I’m a big fan of the teal, although the yellow is definitely tempting!

Which fourth skein of color will you choose for your Mystery Knitalong?

Now, I know what you’re thinking. Why would I spend a month knitting a thing when I don’t even know what that thing is? What if I hate it at the end? I hear you. But I’ve seen the finished shawl, and I can tell you that you definitely WON’T be disappointed! This project is stunning. If you’re not familiar with Susanna’s work, visit her Ravelry page and scope it out. This shawl is . . . in keeping with that general style and aesthetic. I know that’s maddeningly vague. Just trust me. You want to knit this.

This could be you, excitedly waving around your finished MKAL shawl! Photo courtesy of Getty Images/whitemay (from “The Pocket Ibsen – A Collection of Some of the Master’s Best-Known Dramas – Condensed, Revised and Slightly Re-Arranged for the Benefit of the Earnest Student” by F. Anstey, with illustrations by Bernard Partridge. 1895, William Heinemann, London.)

June Mystery Knitalong Hints

If you can’t live with that much mystery, I’ll give you a few hints about the shawl: it uses colorwork slip stitch, garter stitch, lace, and stockinette stitch. Interweave Knits Editor Meghan Babin couldn’t wait for the MKAL to start, so she’s knitting this shawl in the scarlet color option and said she’s really enjoying the knitting and absolutely loving the yarn. She did note that this project is great for intermediate and advanced knitters but might be too challenging for beginners (although knitters of all abilities are welcome to participate!).

I hope you’ll join our mystery knitalong! We’ll have more information for you as the launch approaches, but in the meantime, let the idea percolate and try to find some time in your summer knitting schedule. I think you’ll enjoy the freedom of knitting the unknown, and I know you’ll love the finished product.

Happy mystery knitting!
Rachel

1. Anna M at 1:09 pm May 1, 2018

Hello. Do we have to purchase the Cascade Kit in order to participate? Thank you.

• Jenn at 1:23 pm May 1, 2018

You are not required to purchase one of our yarn kits for this MKAL – we encourage you to seek out Cascade’s Sorata yarn at your favorite Local Yarn Shop or any other outlet that offers Cascade. Purchase the required number of skeins as shown in this blog, and get ready!

• Frances T at 10:02 am June 7, 2018

I paid for this KAL and bought the yarn, but I have heard nothing about it since. What’s happening? It looks like it started.

2. Nanny Judy A at 1:29 pm May 2, 2018

So how do you purchase only the pattern? The only “option” in ordering appears to be choosing the fourth color.

Thank you!

• Jenn at 2:29 pm May 2, 2018

In this mystery knitalong (as detailed in this blog), a portion of the pattern will be unveiled within a blog series once a week during each week in June, revealing itself to you one stitch at a time – and at NO COST. Should you prefer to wait and see the entire shawl presented, it will be published in upcoming Fall edition of Interweave Knits.

3. Doreen L at 9:41 am May 30, 2018

I couldn’t find where to sign in for this KAL. Please help.

• Jenn at 9:43 am May 30, 2018

There is no sign-in page for this KAL. You simply have to keep our blog feed on your radar – the first portion of this mystery knitalong will be released next Tuesday, 6/5/18. Stay tuned!

4. Jody C at 12:03 pm May 31, 2018

What size needles will we need and if circulars how long will they need to be?

• Jenn at 12:30 pm May 31, 2018

Hi Jody C – Interweave Knits Editor Meghan Babin is making this shawl right now! Here is here input, “The pattern materials list a US Size 5, and I concur with that recommendation. Should you use circulars, a 32″ circular cord is needed to accommodate the large amount of stitches.” Good luck to you with the knitalong and don’t forget to check back on Tuesday, June 5, 2018 for our first installment!

5. Cindy C at 1:33 pm June 4, 2018

How do I find the blog? Will I get an email tomorrow?

6. Patti O at 9:31 pm June 4, 2018

I caved and ordered the yarn for this project because the hundreds of projects I have going aren’t enough

7. Ela G at 7:36 am June 5, 2018

I can‘t find any portion – is it too early for Interweave America? And I have to wait some hours?

8. Anonymous at 6:15 pm July 1, 2018

This MKAL was great fun and went quickly, the lace was the trickiest part and even though I probably make more than a couple of mistakes the shawl turned out beautifully.

9. Anonymous at 6:45 pm July 2, 2018

I finished my shawl today! I used some of the gorgeous lace weight yarn I have in my stash. I wish I could post a picture of it here. I tried but it wouldn’t let me 🙁