6 Southwestern-Inspired Designs to Knit
From fashion to home decor to even wedding cakes, Pinterest is exploding with bright, bold motifs inspired by the American Southwest. For knitters, this is old news. The colorful and geometric patterns of fabrics woven by the indigenous people of the Southwest have long been a source of inspiration, whether it be the patterns themselves or the fearless use of color mixing to achieve one-of-a-kind looks.
Interweave Knits and knitscene have published patterns that feature homages to these patterns, and now we've collected six of our favorites in one place! Introducing the Southwestern-inspired Sweater Bundle—six knitting patterns for men and women that invite creative color play to warm up your winter days.
- The Plowman Cardigan by Alex Capshaw-Taylor features a stand-out motif on the back, worked in a subtly variegated yarn to add color depth. Available in five sizes: 38 (42½, 46, 50½, 55)" bust circumference. Jacket shown measures 38", modeled with 6" of positive ease.
- Cecily Glowik MacDonald's Indigo Banded Cardigan pairs a pure white body with a bold indigo colorwork band at the waist. A knitted belt cinches in the waist. Available in five sizes: 36 (40, 44, 48, 52)" bust; shown in size 36" with 4" positive ease.
- The Vera Cardigan from Alexis Winslow has been a favorite in the knitscene offices since it first arrived three years ago. Worked seamlessly from the top down, this cardigan offers many options for customization, from color choice (how cool would it be to work each of the three bands in a different color?) to buttons. Available in six sizes: 31½ (35¾, 39¼, 44, 48¼, 52½)" bust circumference, including 3½ (3½, 4¼, 4¼, 5, 5)" front band; shown in size 35¾".
- For men, Daniela Nii's Chincoteague Cardigan relies on mosaic knitting to create the subtle patterning on this men's cardigan. Available in five sizes: 39 (42¼, 45½, 49, 52¼)" chest circumference, buttoned, after blocking. Cardigan shown measures 42¼".
- Lisa Shroyer's Angel Fire Jacket takes Southwestern motifs and adds them to a tailored jacket silhouette. Knit in a bulky yarn, this open-front cardigan makes a great addition to any wardrobe. Available in five sizes: 33¼ (37, 44½, 48½, 52¼)" bust circumference. Cardigan shown measures 37", modeled with 4" of ease.
- Finally, the Canyon Cardigan by Eunny Jang pairs a tweedy yarn with oversized motifs in a subtle way to make a great knitted men's cardigan. A classic v-neck cardigan with raglan-shaped sleeves, this is a quick cardigan to knit. Available in six sizes: 36½ (40½, 44½, 48½, 52½, 56½)" chest circumference, buttoned. Cardigan shown measures 44½".
These knitting patterns are all great individually, but if you purchase the Southwestern-Inspired Sweater Bundle, you'll get six patterns for less than the price of three. Download the bundle today and get started knitting this season's hottest trend.