Events and Happenings Around the Annual Tucson Shows
You might think of the annual Tucson shows as just a place to shop for gems, jewelry, minerals, fossils, and beads. And that is, of course, the main purpose of the shows. But did you know there’s a lot more going on in Tucson during the shows? Meetings, lectures, seminars, parties, dinners, classes and workshops, and much more — all take place in conjunction with the usual shows. (For more to see and do around Tucson during the annual gem shows — as well as complete info on all the shows — check out the 2018 Tucson Show Guide.)
Below is a list of the major events happening during the Tucson shows. Many (but certainly not all) of them are invitation-only or open just to members. But if something grabs your interest, visit the websites provided and look into attendance policies. These groups are always happy to hear from you — and they love new members.
Accredited Gemologists Association,
- Annual Conference, January 31, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Tucson University Park Hotel Conference Center
- Champagne Reception, January 31, 6:30 p.m., Tucson University Park Hotel
- Gala, January 31, 7:30 p.m.-11 p.m., Tucson University Park Hotel
American Gem Trade Association (AGTA)
- 2018 Annual Tucson Membership Meeting, January 30, 6:30 p.m.-8 p.m., Tucson Convention Center
- Cultured Pearl Association, January 31, 6 p.m.-9:30 p.m., Cushing Street Bar & Grill
- International Colored Gemstone Association Reception, 6:30 p.m.-12 a.m., Tucson University Park Hotel
- Scotty Woodward 5K Benefitting the Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics, February 3, 8 a.m.-10 a.m., Santa Cruz Park
- AGTA Spectrum Awards™ Reception & Gala, February 3, 6:30 p.m., Tucson University Park Hotel
Friends of Mineralogy
- 39th Annual Tucson Mineral Symposium, Theme: Crystals & Crystal Forms, February 10, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Tucson Convention Center
Gemological Institute of America (GIA)
- Lecture: Latest News from GIA, February 2, 9 a.m.-10 a.m., Tucson Convention Center
- Seminar: Identifying Synthetic Diamonds, February 2, 1 p.m.-3 p.m., Tucson Convention Center
- Party at the GIA Gem Mine, February 2, 6:30 p.m.-11 p.m., Tucson University Park Hotel
- Seminar: Ruby — Country of Origin Determination, February 3, 9 a.m.-11 a.m., Tucson Convention Center
- Seminar: Sapphire — Country of Origin Determination, February 3, 1 p.m.-3 p.m., Tucson Convention Center
National Association of Jewelry Appraisers
- 49th ACE© IT Annual Winter Conference, January 28-29, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Tucson Convention Center, Maricopa Room
Tucson Gem & Mineral Show
- Lectures and seminars, Tucson Convention Center
- Arthur Roe Symposium, February 10
- Sunday Night Dinner, February 10
The Westward Look Mineral Show
- Saturday Collector Day, February 3, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Westward Look Resort
- Sunday Evening Program, February 4, 6:30 p.m., Westward Look Resort
The Whole Bead Show
- Opening Gala, sponsored by Green Girl Studios, January 26, 4 p.m.-8 p.m., Viscount Suite Hotel
Jewelry-Making and Beading Classes
(For complete lists of classes and instructors, visit the websites listed.)
J.O.G.S. Tucson Gem Show
- January 25-February 5, 10:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
To Bead True Blue/Colors of the Stone
- January 27-February 3, 8 a.m.-9 p.m.
For more information on the 2018 Tucson gem shows (dates, times, locations, vendors, floor plans, and more), be sure to check out the 2018 Tucson Show Guide.
See you around the shows (and the parties)!
PHOTOS: COURTESY VISIT TUCSON
To find more on the shows and the Tucson Show Guide, visit the Interweave Store!