The Great Eight: the Best of Jewelry Making Daily
Jewelry Making Daily turned one earlier this summer, and at the end of this month, I'll celebrate my one-year anniversary as the Jewelry Making Daily editor. I can't believe it has been a year already!
Our community has grown so fast (thanks to you!), and I realized that those of you who are relatively new to us missed out on some of the great blogs from the earliest days of JMD. So like all great milestones, this one calls for a "Best of . . ." retrospective. Here's a look back at the top eight Jewelry Making Daily posts of all time. (Dramatic? Me? No way!)
1. Sawing and Soldering: Make Your Own Sterling Silver Flower Ring – This one makes me so proud! I still wear this ring every day and get comments on it all the time. I love talking to people about it, and it has been fun to see all of your designs that were inspired by it.
2. Unique Ear Wires: Make Earring Findings in Minutes – The ear-wire phenomenon was a surprise to me. I knew that I appreciated unique ear wires and the extra oh-la-la they add to earring designs, but I had no idea that so many jewelry makers were interested in them as well and on the lookout for unique ear wire designs. Yay for handmade findings!
3. Steampunk 101: Create Romantic and Edgy Steampunk-Style Jewelry – I don't believe I've ever known a trend in jewelry-making to last as long as steampunk has lasted. It has been years since I first learned about it, and it's still going strong–obviously, ranking at number three!
|Photo by Michael Richardson.|
5. How-To: Learn Japanese 12-in-2 Chain Maille Weave in 6 Steps – If you've been reading JMD awhile, you know my relationship with chain maille is a rocky one. I admire the look and the craftsmanship of it, but I just don't have the patience (or, apparently, the dexterity!) for it. I'm impressed that so many of you make chain maille jewelry, though–and your encouraging comments when I write about it just might turn me into a chain maille jewelry maker yet.
6. Make Colorful Wrapped Wire Teardrop Earrings with Swarovski Crystals – These pretty earrings are so versatile, I'm not surprised that so many of you visited this page and hopefully made the earrings. If you made them, or a variation of them, I hope you'll post photos in our Gallery!
|Earrings by Simply-Catherine.com|
7. Make Custom Jewelry Findings: 9 Inspiring Ear Wire Designs for One-of-a-Kind Earrings – Again with the ear wires! This was one of my favorite posts to write because I was inspired by a jewelry maker and Facebook friend of JMD, who graciously allowed me to include some of her clever work. She's an ear-wire design genius!
8. Ode to my Ruined Wire Cutters: Found Objects Metals Tips for Jewelry-Making Tools – What a therapeutic post this was. I still mourn those beloved cutters and eventually I'll try some of the repair suggestions some of you offered in the comments. I learned a lot about metals and other found objects and mixed-media materials while doing research for this post, too, and I hope that information will help prevent future tool destruction!
Silversmithing, chain maille, wirework, mixed-media jewelry. . . I'm happy that there's a wide variety of topics and jewelry-making techniques covered there–that tells me we're doing something right! If one of them caught your eye as something you'd like to try, take advantage of the last few hours of the StashBuster Sale in the Jewelry Making Daily Shop. You can find over 3,000 products that are on sale up to 60% off–making this the perfect time to try out a new jewelry-making technique or bring back an old favorite and revive your stash. But do hurry, the sale ends tonight!