Friendly Reminder: Metal Stamped Jewelry to Help You Stay on Track with Resolutions
Well, we're 10 days into the new year–how are those resolutions coming? Are you keeping the house clean? Remembering to say kind things? Laying off the sugar and eating more green things?
|Spread Your Wings by Jess Italia-Lincoln|
I think it has been too cold in most of the country so far this year to be very disciplined about anything but keeping your toes warm. When it's in the single digits outside (or even less, whew!), no one wants to venture to the produce market to find fresh veggies, if there are any to be found, or brave the mean winds to go to the gym. It's hard to stay on track when you're just trying to stay warm.
Freezing or not, who couldn't use a little extra encouragement? A little reminder to fight the good fight and all that. When I was dealing with something last fall and trying to remind myself to stay encouraged and on track with a decision I had made, I wore a ring with a special message stamped on it to remind me of my way whenever I saw it. It served as a constant reminder of something I "knew in my knower" as my dear friend Dana says, but had trouble always knowing, if you know what I mean! It was part talisman and part worry stone with a hidden message just for me–and it really did work.
|Easy Stamped Pendant by Lisa Niven Kelly|
Metal stamping jewelry is a perfect way to make your own little reminders, whether it's a ring like I had or perhaps a bracelet or pendant. You can find all kinds of blanks to make whatever kind of jewelry will work best for you or a friend and stamp it with a single word (dream, hope, wish, create, believe, leap, soar, succeed) or an entire phrase ("You can do it!" or one of those "A moment on the lips…" sayings) or Bible verse. Stamp a quote from literature or poetry, a sassy one-liner from a song or movie, or a saying that has special meaning among friends and family. Stamp in French or the foreign language of your choice for an added bit of style and mystique, such as "La vie est faite de petits bonheurs" (which means "Life is full of little pleasures").
I keep a little stash of favorite quotes saved on my computer for just the right moment, and I have a well-worn copy of Bartlett's Familiar Quotations on my desk. It seems I can always find a line that speaks to me and that would serve as a good reminder. Here are some of my favorites that I think would make great lines for stamped jewelry reminders related to common resolutions, attributed unless unknown.
Speak Your Heart bracelets by Taylor Saleem Stamped Riveted Rings by Kate Richbourg
Leap and a net will appear.
- Things that do not change and grow will die.
- There's nothing that can't be cured by salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea.
- You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. –Christopher Robin to Winnie the Pooh, by A. A. Milne
- You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. –Robin Williams
- Go where you are celebrated, not tolerated. –Mike Murdoch
- Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. –Luke 12:32
- I don't just want to live. I want to love first and live incidentally. –Zelda Fitzgerald
- Don't be afraid to go on an occasional wild goose chase. That's what wild geese are for.
- You can have wings without losing your roots. –from the movie Sweet Home Alabama
- Everything that is real was imagined first. –from The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
- You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. –C.S. Lewis
- Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. –Philippians 4:8
- Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure that you are. –Mary Jean Iron
- Bloom recklessly.
- To hide the key to your heart is to risk forgetting where you placed it. –Timothy Childers
- Details make life holy. If you want a little happiness in life, don't forget to look at the little things. –Noah Ben Shea
- Don't underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering. –Winnie the Pooh, by A.A. Milne
- Be Still, and know that I am God. –Psalm 46:10
- Keep not standing fixed and rooted. Briskly venture, briskly roam. –Goethe
- Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. –Kahlil Gibran
- Be careful, little eyes, what you see.
- The barn's burnt down. Now I can see the moon. –Masahide
- Garbage in, garbage out!
- Count your blessings, not your sheep.
|Sticks and Stones Necklace by Jennifer Stumpf
Stamping on jewelry allows you to create simple, subtle (if you want), everyday reminders to stay on track with your resolutions and plans for the new year. You can stamp on the inside or back of the jewelry if it's a private message just for you, or stamp a big, bold, clear message to the world so anyone who sees your stamped jewelry will know they're dealing with a determined person with their eyes on a prize!
Hopefully not all of your resolutions are about dieting and doing chores but involve fun and creativity as well! If any of your new year's resolutions are related to jewelry making, you can save 20% on the resources in the Jewelry Making Daily Shop with coupon code RESOLUTION20. Take advantage of our New Year, New You event to get started learning all the jewelry-making techniques you want to master in 2014.
What's your favorite stampable line? I'd love to hear in the comments below!