Favorite Project of the Week: Mokumé Gané Stingray Pendant
Danger can be beautiful! One very dangerous creature of the sea is the stingray. Its stingers and venom can be deadly. But it’s also a beautiful delicate animal, gliding gently through the waves. Sure, you want to watch out for a real stingray. But you can find inspiration for your jewelry designs in its form.
Roger Halas’s Mokumé Gané Stingray Pendant from the May/June 2016 issue of Lapidary Journal Jewelry Artist uses the merging of metals to show the beauty of the stingray — embellished by decorative stones. Mokumé gané is a fantastic metalwork technique that forges together two or more metals — in this case, sterling silver, copper, and brass — for a unique look. It was originally used by sword and knife makers and is now a very popular technique for jewelry artists. This project is a great way to practice working with mokumé gané as well as developing your forging techniques — and playing with your rolling mill (always a fun time).
- This pendant will introduce you to mokumé gané and teach you how to work with it.
- Practice your forging and rolling skills.
- Using different combinations of metal and different faceted stones will give your piece a unique look.
- It’s a great way to make a thing of beauty out of a scary creature from the depths of the sea.
Don’t get stung!
- 18 gauge or thicker mokumé gané sheet
- 14 gauge sterling sheet
- ¼ inch sterling billet
- 14 gauge sterling wire
- Two 3mm faceted stones
- One 5mm faceted stone
- HAND AND FABRICATION: Hammer, nylon hammer, jeweler’s saw, pitch bowl, pitch, rotary tool, drill bit set, pliers, files, 1/16-inch drill bit
- EQUIPMENT: Rolling mill, anvil or bracelet mandrel
- SETTING AND FINISHING: Stone setting bur set, 400 grit sandpaper, blue radial bristle brushes, fine abrasive polishing pins, engraving bur, rounded bezel pusher, beeswax, tape
- CASTING AND SOLDERING: Ingot mold, cuttlebone, torch setup
Required skills: Metal fabrication, chasing and repoussé, cuttlebone casting, flush setting
Find this project and so many more in our shop!