Favorite Project of the Week: Eye of the Hurricane Crystal and Wire Pendant
Here’s a little fact I’ll bet you didn’t know about me: I can sing. I actually sing alto in my church choir. There’s nothing I love more than learning a new piece in choir practice and singing it (correctly) in front of the congregation. Oh, I’m certainly NOT the best alto in the world. But I AM enthusiastic. I can also play the piano — a little. My mother was a concert pianist who made me take lessons as a kid. But it’s been years, so I can only plink out a few easy tunes now. I do wish I’d kept up with my lessons. Don’t you hate it when Mom is right? And I love combining my love of singing and music with my love of making jewelry. So I’m also looking for designs that look particularly “musical.”
Bobbi Maw’s Eye of the Hurricane Crystal and Wire Pendant from the July 2017 issue of Lapidary Journal Jewelry Artist evokes strong musical feelings in me. Oh, sure! Bobbi was thinking of hurricanes when she designed it, and I can definitely see that. But to me, this piece looks exactly like a treble clef on a musical score. And I love the combination of the bicone crystals with the large focal crystal. Plus, wire is my favorite medium to play with when I just want to fool around with my tools. This is a great project for getting your wire fix in.
- Whether it looks like a hurricane or a treble clef to you — or something else entirely — this a spectacular design!
- Make it your own by changing the colors or styles of the focal and the bicones. You can even make them stones instead of crystals.
- It’s a fairly simple wire project that you can do without spending a lot of time.
- Need a last-minute holiday gift project? This is perfect!
- 1 18mm crystal in sew on setting; Swarovski Vitrail Medium shown
- Crystal beads: Swarovski Vitrail medium bicone beads in sizes 6, 4 and 3mm shown, but size and quantity vary with your swirl
- 10 inches (25.4cm) 16ga round soft wire; fine silver shown
- 20 inches (50.8cm) 26ga round soft wire; fine silver shown
- 3 10mm open or closed jump rings
- Large bail or ring bending pliers
- Standard ring mandrel (for sizing)
- Flush cutters
- Round nose pliers
- Chain nose pliers
- File or heavy emery board
- Nylon jaw pliers
- Bench block
- Chasing hammer
Required skills: Basic wire wrapping, wire handling
Get your wire and tools out, your voice tuned up, then let’s go!