Ocean Scallop Shell Afghan
This is about a month and a half's worth of work. I haven't woven in the tails yet, or steamed it into shape. I know you're not supposed to, but I also plan on tying the ends of the shells together, just because the end afghan is pretty heavy and I'm shipping it out of state to a friend and I don't want it to fall apart on them when they wash it and have to send it back to me felted. As you can see, right now there's gaps between the shells, but that will tighten up when I weave in the ends.
I found the pattern at http://purplekittyyarns.com/free-afghans/lacy-shell and while it says that it's an intermediate pattern, I'll say that I found it pretty easy. The shells take about 15-20 minutes each, once you get past the point where you need to look at the pattern constantly, and the half shells take about 10-15 each.
This is the first afghan that I've actually finished, and so far I have to say that the whole process has been completely satisfying. As you can see, down at the bottom, I'm just finishing the last row, which I'm inverting per the pattern to create a nice scalloped edge.
For those who'd like to try this pattern, a word of advice, when you're working the last row of the full shells, be sure to keep that end stitch on the dc's tight. I have a fairly even tension, and while I was stitching the afghan up, the top stitches seemed to stretch a LOT. I don't know if that's an afghan thing, or just a me thing (I'm a little new to the pattern thing. My grandmother just read the instructions to me aloud and told me to keep going LOL). Also, it says to leave a 20" tail for stitching, I would say to give it more like 25, especially if the yarn you use is springy. Make sure you leave at least three inches of tail whenever you finish off as well, otherwise, you'll have a hard time weaving in the ends.
I'll make sure and get a finished pic up here once it's all done. 🙂
So there is the nearly finished product. There's some steaming and shaping to be done, but that's it. 🙂
^here you can see the bottom scallop that the pattern calls for. Not sure I like the design entirely, but it does make the entire blanket even.
^This is the WS. I have to say that I'm a little disappointed that the seaming looks better on the WS than the RS. 🙁 At least in my opninion. (But that's what the pattern calls for) You can also see at the top of each shell, that the WS brings each shell to a peak at the top. Not sure I like that either. lol All in all, you can't win for losing on the seaming in this pattern. The RS shows the seams clearly because of the way you lay out the shells and stictch them together, and the WS alters the shape of each shell slightly, but hides the seams better. Altogether, it came out nicely, and I'm sure my friend's gonna love it. I'll make sure to put a finished product pick up on the page once the steaming has helped settle the blanket into shape.