Crochet Snowman Ornament: Meet Frosty the Bobblehead
It’s a little bit crafty, a little bit crochet, and a whole lot of cute! Make Frosty the Bobblehead as a versatile crochet snowman ornament. Deborah Bagley designed it with things she had around the house: a foam ball, buttons, and an old box spring.* Once she formed the snowman’s head and body, she crocheted a hat, scarf, and nose. All of the details can be found in Love of Crochet Winter 2017.
Decorating with Frosty the Bobblehead
You can simply set Frosty the Bobblehead on a table, but there are other uses for this little guy (with or without the spring):
• Attach a loop of yarn to the top of the snowman head so you can hang the complete snowman or just the head.
• Make just the head, hat, and scarf, then attach these pieces to a staircase railing with removable mounting squares.
• Make the head as directed, then wrap additional foam balls with yarn for a non-springy body.
• Add the snowman to a Christmas wreath.
• Decorate a mantle with the snowman.
• Attach the snowman to a gift as a gift topper.
• Create a garland with the snowman and other Christmas shapes like the cute critters from Love of Crochet Holiday 2013.
Designer Deborah Bagley
Finished Size About 8″ tall and 4.5″ wide.
Yarn Willow Yarns Wash Worsted (100% acrylic; 180 yd (165 m)/3.5 oz (100 g)): #24 snow (MC), #1 red apple (A), #11 evergreen (B), #31 orange peel (C), 1 skein each.
Hook Size G/6 (4 mm). Adjust hook size if necessary to obtain correct gauge.
Notions Stitch marker (m), 1; bedspring; 1″ buttons, 2; .5″ buttons, 4; 2.9″ foam ball; 15 mm safety eyes, 2; .5″ pom-pom or small pom-pom maker; hot glue and hot glue gun.
Gauge Hat: 5 sc and 6 rnds = 1″
More Décor in Love of Crochet Winter 2017
Do you love handmade holiday decorations? Love of Crochet Winter 2017 has 9 fun and festive designs so you can adorn your home with snowflakes, santas, and snowmen. There are easy projects (a pom-pom garland and a wreath) and more advanced projects (delicate star flake ornaments and crocheted word art). Whether you’re in a cold climate or warm one, you can celebrate the season in frosty style.
In addition to the ornaments, you’ll find 12 other fabulous designs for winter accessories and party-ready projects in Love of Crochet Winter 2017.
*Individual box springs are available for purchase on sites like etsy.com.