Self-Care Ideas for an Educational Fall Day
In our last self-care post, we talked about how the tactile experience of a real paper book in your hands just feels cozy and warms the heart. I’m a pretty techno-centric person, so when I’m looking to engage in some self-care, I tend to turn on a screen of some sort to entertain and educate me. When it’s gray and bleak outside, curling up on the couch with my tablet and my cats to watch a video sounds pretty darn nice.
Tune Out With Your Tablet
From blacksmithing to a new bead stitch, watching people make things ignites my creative spark. If I’m going to try my hand at something new, I always watch instructional videos all the way through once, before I get out my materials to follow along. I find that it helps me visualize the whole process and feel more comfortable with the project before I get started. Indulge in some self-care by watching a beading workshop or beginning one of the excellent online courses available in the Interweave store:
- Get access to the entire Bead and Jewelry Workshop collection with a monthly course subscription! Then you can browse the whole catalog without the pressure of choosing just one.
- Watch Tammy Honaman teach five popular stitches in the Getting Started bead Weaving Series – Learn These Stitches Course. Learn Ladder, Flat Herringbone, Hubble, Chevron, and Chenille stitches, and get some really great tips about tools and techniques that will help you produce your best work.
- Beads, Baubles, and Jewels TV has DVDs and video downloads galore! You can get the latest season on DVD, or get individual episodes to download on your device. Each half-hour episode will run you through the gamut of beading and jewelry making!
- Kinga Nichols’ Creative Bead Embroidery videos are bundled together in this two-pack of instructional videos. Watch Kinga’s whimsical and creative designs come to life, and learn how to create your own!
- Don’t miss the section of free Be(ad)Wise instructional videos. There you will find easy-to-follow instructions, high-resolution video clips, and amazing tips. FREE!
Whether you want to relax on the couch, or pop your headphones in at the gym—watching an instructional video for some self-care will make you forget all about the gray fall days and inspire you to get makin’! What’s your favorite video from the Interweave store? Let us know in the comments!
Technical Editor, Beadwork magazine
Featured Image: Getty Images