Free Embossed Leather Earring Project
I need another beading tool like I need a hole in the head, right? But a couple of weeks ago, I caved in and bought one of the new Big Kick machines from Vintaj, with the idea that I would make some lovely embossed brass pieces for earring making projects. Little did I know that playing with this machine would not just inspire me to create new and beautiful beaded earrings, it would push me a little further into the realm of mixed media jewelry!
I've always been a little intimidated by the idea of making jewelry with metals. Sure, I can cut and fuse glass and make lampwork glass beads on a torch. But those don't involve cutting or stamping or doing anything with metal. Well, even my five-year-old got into the fun, "helping" me crank the brass blanks through the machine and finishing them with the reliefing block and some colored inks.
When I found out that I could run thick leather through the Vintaj Big Kick, too, it gave me a whole new set of ideas for earring making projects! If you have a Vintaj Big Kick (or know someone who does), try this fun and easy earring making project using your favorite leather scraps and embossing folders.
- Leather scraps, approximately 1/2" thick (enough to make 2 leather coins, each 1 1/4")
- Nicole's Beadbacking or other bead embroidery medium
- 2 grams size 8o seed beads in color to match or contrast with your leather coins
- 1 gram size 11o seed beads in color to match or contrast with your leather coins
- 5 grams Czech farfalle beads
- 6 lb. braided beading thread (Fireline recommended)
- 1 pair ear wires
- E6000 adhesive
- Vintaj Big Kick machine and embossing folder
- Scissors for cutting leather
- Thread cutter
- Size 12 beading needle
- Flat nose or chain nose pliers
- Sharpie markers (optional, for adding color to leather coins, if desired)
Something else I discovered about running leather through my Big Kick machine: it will also beautifully emboss my scraps of Ultrasuede! What a great idea for making the back of your bead embroidery pieces just as interesting as the front, right?
If you love using seed beads to create earrings (or other kinds of beaded jewelry), you'll want to check out the Beadwork Presents 10 Seed Bead Patterns eBook. Filled with ten great seed bead projects taken straight from the pages of Beadwork magazine, designed by your favorite bead artists. And right now, as part of the 12 Days of Deals in the Beading Daily Shop, you can take 50% off this great eBook of beading projects. Best of all, it's an instant download, so you can be reading and beading in just minutes!
Download your copy of Beadwork Presents 10 Seed Bead Patterns today and find even more great earring making projects using your favorite beads.