Embellish a Pair of Jeans with Beads!
|A little bit of bead embroidery goes a long way on a pair of my favorite jeans!|
Beads make fabulous jewelry, as we all know, but there are so many other crafts that you can do with beads! Crafts with beads can be things for home décor or special objects (like my French beaded flower wedding bouquet) or using beads to embellish clothing.
Since I wear jeans pretty much every single day (one of the perks of working from home), I love to dress them up with special embellishments. Using beads to embellish your favorite jeans is a fun weekend beading project! Before you get
|Use a tiny bit of Ultrasuede to anchor your knots when stitching beads on your jeans.|
started, here are a couple of tips to help you along:
- Choose a pair of dark wash jeans for a dressier look.
- You can use a small amount of fabric paint to trace your design on your jeans before you start to stitch. Another option is to use a white crayon that can be rubbed off gently after you've finished your beaded embellishment.
- When looking for places to embellish with beads, try to avoid places on your jeans that will get heavy wear such as the back pockets and ankles. Stick with places like the front pockets for your beaded embellishments.
- Use a small piece of Ultrasuede or leather to secure your knots on the inside of your jeans. This will keep your beading thread from pulling at the fabric of the jeans and coming loose.
- For beading thread, use a braided thread like Fireline or Wildfire. These beading threads are more likely to hold up with heavy wear and repeated washing of your bead-embellished jeans.
- Care for your jeans by washing them on gentle cycle in your washing machine, or put them in a mesh laundry bag or pillowcase before washing to extend the life of your beaded embellishments.
You can do so many different crafts with beads. Whether you're making fabulous beaded jewelry or other types of bead crafts, it just goes to show that these versatile little bits of glass can be used for just about anything! (And just imagine all the compliments you'll get on your newly-embellished beaded jeans!)
If you are ready to start experimenting with these kinds of bead crafts, then you'll want to check out all the great beading books on sale now in the Beading Daily Shop, including Beaded Embellishment: Techniques & Designs for Embroidering on Cloth. It's full of page after page of wonderful ideas and instructions for stitching beads on all sorts of items that you just might want to embellish your entire wardrobe with beads!
What other types of bead crafts do you enjoy? Leave a comment and share your favorite bead crafts with us!