Cool Stuff, Products We Love, June/July 2017 Beadwork Magazine
We love to bring you what’s hot and happening in the beading industry. In each issue of Beadwork magazine we feature what we’ve found and think you’d like to know about. Here are our top picks from the June/July 2017 issue.
1. All Beads CZ and Sabine Lippert have created a new version of the popular Dragon Scale bead — the
Gekko bead — which features slightly softer points and a hole that runs the width of the bead rather than the length. It’s available in a 3x5mm size at www.all-beads-wholesale.com (wholesale only) or from your favorite bead retailer.
2. The antiqued, textured Groovy Bead Frames from Goody Beads can be decorated and strung from several angles and used with materials such as head pins, wire, and cord. Grooves are inset to hide stringing materials, knots, or twisted-off wires. Visit www.goodybeads.com.
3. Express your love and gratitude for Mom with Swarovski’s new BeCharmed collection of Mother’s
Day pavé beads. Handmade with crystal chatons and fancy stones, these large-hole beads combine
beautifully with other beads and can be strung on a variety of materials. Visit www.create-your-style.com or check your favorite bead retailer.
4. The new fire-polished Hill bead by Preciosa features a unique dome shape and a single hole running vertically. The bead’s many facets help dramatize and enhance a variety of surface finishes. Find it in 6 and 8mm sizes and a wide range of half- and full-coatings at www.preciosa-ornela.com (wholesale only) or at your favorite bead retailer.
5. With fifty-two removable compartments in three sizes, this bead-storage carrying case from Artbeads makes transporting all your beads and findings easy. It measures 10×8×1.88″ and includes tweezers and a bead scoop. Purchase for $16.99 at www.artbeads.com.
6. Could you use a hand with your kumihimo beadwork? The 3rd Hand Tweezers by Adrienne Gaskell, with adjustable self-locking tweezers, are ideal for setting up cords or gluing braids into clasps. For anchoring your cords, the slotted counter weights accommodate several weight combinations.Purchase at www.kumihimoresource.com.
7. With three holes and two curved edges, the 3x8mm Cali bead by John Bead can act as a spacer, an accent, or a foundation for the inventive beader. Find it in over fifty colors and finishes at www.johnbead.com or at your favorite bead retailer.
8. With Halstead’s unique and expansive selection of metal stamping blanks and supplies, creating customized jewelry has never been more fun. Explore the possibilities at www.halsteadbead.com.
9. Brighten up your beadwork with electro-coated brass findings from Fire Mountain Gems and Beads. Find head pins, eye pins, jump rings, clasps, and more in fun colors for summer at www.firemountaingems.com.
10. The TK 2600 Bead Stringer’s Tool Kit by Xuron features three tools essential for creating strung jewelry: the Micro-Shear Flush Cutter, Bead Crimping Pliers, and TweezerNose Pliers. The tools come in a canvas pouch with extra space for storing tweezers or a file. Visit www.xuron.com (wholesale only) or check your favorite bead retailer.
AND FRESH FINDS FROM THE 2017 TUCSON GEM SHOWS:
11. Nina Designs is known for its delightful charms, and now you can make them your own with the
sterling silver Tree of Life stamping blanks. Choose a textured or “openwork” tree and stamp whatever
you desire on the frame. Purchase at www.ninadesigns.com.
12. Inspired by changing values and fearless self-expression, Swarovski’s Spring/Summer 2018 innovations offer bold colors and a playful sensibility. The Crystal Shiny Lacquer PRO effect is particularly summery and uplifting. Visit www.create-your-style.com or check your favorite bead retailer.
13. The shaped-bead landscape just got a bit more crowded with the new two-hole beads from The BeadSmith. The 6mm Honeycomb Jewel, 6x5mm Nib-Bit, and 3x5mm Rulla Duet will add color, texture, and dimension to your beadwork. Visit www.beadsmith.com (wholesale only) or check your favorite bead retailer.
14. The new metal-stamping products from ImpressArt allow you to personalize your jewelry with precision. Use the adhesive stamp guides to evenly align your letter or design stamps, then darken the impressions cleanly with the convenient enamel marker. Visit www.impressart.com (wholesale only) or check your favorite bead retailer.
15. The classic DiamonDuo is now available in thirteen new colors, including metallics and pastels that
glow — so you can admire your beadwork even in the dark of night. Visit www.beadmasterusa.com (wholesale only) or check your favorite bead retailer.
HANDPICKED FAVORITES IN THE INTERWEAVE SHOP:
The Peyote Stitch Companion, by former Beadwork Editor Melinda Barta, is a standby reference guide to this essential stitch. Previously available only as an eBook, it’s now available in a beautiful hardcover that you can add to your library. Ideal for beaders of every skill level, the
companion covers it all: requisite tools and materials, basic techniques, tips and troubleshooting, peyote stitch and its variations, embellishments and edgings, stitch combinations, how to design with peyote, and more! Find it here.
In New Stamped Metal Jewelry, Lisa Niven Kelly and Taryn McCabe start where Lisa’s classic Stamped Metal Jewelry left off, covering all that’s new and cool in the world of metal stamping. The book also encourages jewelry artists to approach metal stamping in interesting and unexpected ways and to make the most of this popular technique. Find it at here or your favorite bead or book store.
Learn How to Bead on a Loom is the new on-demand course taught by Interweave’s own Tammy Honaman. With nine video lessons, this course is a comprehensive introduction to beading on a loom that also lets you interact with other students, share images of your work, and test your knowledge. Visit us here today to get started.