Cool Stuff, Products We Love, June/July 2018 Beadwork Magazine
We love to bring you what’s hot and happening in the beading industry. In each issue of Beadwork magazine we feature “Products We Love,” hot items we’ve found and think you’d like to know about. Here are our top picks from the June/July 2018 issue.
1. High-quality unfinished wooden bezels handmade by the owners of Artwoodenstuff are perfect for filling with resin or your favorite cabochon. Find them in different woods and a variety of shapes and sizes at www.artwoodenstuff.com.
2. Use 6x4mm DiamonDuos Minis from Bead Master on their own or with classic 8x5mm DiamonDuos. Bead Master also offers the new 5x8mm two-hole Vexolo beads, 6x4mm two-hole Czech-glass Trios, and 7x4mm two-hole oval rhinestone rondelles. Visit www.beadmasterusa.com (wholesale only) or your favorite bead retailer.
3. Discover the versatility of beadwork in Beadwork Designer of the Year Jean Power’s Big Book of Weekend Beading (CompanionHouse Books, 2018). Packed with more than thirty projects featuring techniques in bead weaving, bead embroidery, stringing, and wirework, Jean’s book contains quick projects ranging from home accessories to jewelry to clothing. Find it at www.foxchapelpublishing.com.
4. Can’t find your beading needle? InstaNeedle’s two-step system lets you easily create a “needle” from your beading thread. The kit includes applicators, one 10 g bottle of InstaNeedle Primer that creates a strong bonding base for the thread, and one 10 g bottle of InstaNeedle-X for an even stronger needle. Visit www.instaneedle.com.
5 Miyuki’s new Quarter Tila bead provides even more versatility in your bead-weaving projects. This two-hole 5×1.2×1.9mm bead pairs nicely with the Full and Half Tila beads and works well with size 11° seed beads. Quarter Tilas are available in many of your favorite colors; find them at www.miyuki-beads.co.jp (wholesale only) or your favorite bead retailer.
6. TierraCast’s Intermix collection showcases textured metal in various configurations ranging from a single link to a five-ring component. The collection features antiqued silver and gold, as well as bright rhodium and gold finishes. Find these and more at www.tierracast.com (wholesale only) or your favorite bead retailer.
7. Just in time for summer jewelry projects, Nina Designs added new charms to its insect- and beach-themed collections, including a tiny honeybee, sterling silver honeycomb, sterling silver whale tail and ocean waves, and sterling silver narwhal (above). Find these and more at www.ninadesigns.com.
8. Shipwreck Beads’ new Amoracast gold vermeil huggies stud earring findings let you easily set uniquely shaped gemstones. Shipwreck Beads also offers custom Swarovski mixes, including a blue velvet assortment featuring 4mm pearls (above). Visit www.shipwreckbeads.com.
9. Starman’s latest innovations include the 4×6.5mm CzechMates diamonds. This newest shaped bead in the CzechMates system combines perfectly with other CzechMates beads and functions as an angular spacer. Visit www.czechbeads.com (wholesale only) or your favorite bead retailer.
10. Toho recently added seventeen new colors to its sixty-color PermaFinish collection. PermaFinish is a durable protective coating that helps prevent fading, scratching, and tarnishing. Visit www.tohobeads.net (wholesale only) or your favorite bead retailer.
11. Kick up your jewelry designs with a wide variety of specialty beads, pendants, and donuts made of natural materials from Beads and Pieces. Products range from a four-sided mahogany wood tube laminated with rooster feathers (shown in yellow) to a faceted mahogany wood and resin tusk (shown in magenta). Find these pieces and more at www.beadsandpieces.com.
Handpicked Favorites from the Interweave Shop:
Nancy Eha’s The Art of Writing with Seed Beads
Learn how to “write” with seed beads in Interweave’s newest online course, Nancy Eha’s The Art of Writing with Seed Beads. In addition to exploring different fonts, Nancy includes troubleshooting information and instructions for washing embroidered fabric. This course is a must-have for those looking to advance their beadwork skills. Sign up today at www.interweave.com.
Bead and Jewelry Workshops Subscription
There’s a whole world of instruction and inspiration waiting for you within a Bead and Jewelry Workshops subscription. As a subscriber, you gain instant access to the entire catalog of beading and jewelry courses, as well as all new courses going forward! Choose from bead and jewelry artists Tammy Honaman, Kinga Nichols, Carol Cypher, Nancy Eha, and many more. Subscribe at www.interweave.com.
The staff of Beadwork invites you to send your new bead working products for consideration in Cool Stuff. Please send all submissions to [email protected] and include complete product information.