Cool Stuff, Products We Love, December 2017/January 2018 Beadwork Magazine
We love to bring you what’s hot and happening in the beading industry. In each issue of Beadwork magazine we feature what we’ve found and think you’d like to know about. Here are our top picks from the December 2017/January 2018 issue.
1. Starman presents new color options, including the Color Trends Saturated Metallic collection available in 7mm CzechMates cabochons, 3×10mm CzechMates beams, 3×6mm prongs, and 2–6mm fire-polished rounds. The Cosmic Twinkle color collection is available in 6mm rounds, and Toho Demi Round seed beads come in more than 50 new colors. Visit www.czechbeads.com (wholesale only) or check your favorite bead retailer.
2. Halstead’s new sterling silver earring findings are a stunning and easy way to update your collection, including the swoop-back earring jacket, which can be added to any pair of post earrings. Also shown are Halstead’s new oval filigree ear wire and hammered ear wire. Check your favorite bead retailer or www.halsteadbead.com (wholesale only).
3. ImpressArt has recently launched a custom-stamp program that allows anyone to submit a logo or other design to be made into a metal stamp in 3mm, 4mm, 6mm, 9.5mm, or 12mm sizes. Also new are ring bending pliers and 18-gauge ring blanks in various sizes, as well as sticker bracelet guides. Visit www.impressart.com or www.pjtooljewelry.com.
4. New wooden Traveling Bead Boards from i-bead.com make it easier to control your beads on the go, with multiple-sized grooves perfect for keeping your beads in place. Available with 19, 32, and 36 spaces, these beautiful boards with clamp-on lids fit easily into your bag to take your project anywhere. Visit www.i-bead.com to learn more.
5. TierraCast’s new Make a Statement collection features motifs of rhythm, geometry, and renewal. Rhythm components are influenced by global patterns, Geometry features clean and elegant designs, and Renewal pieces are inspired by the lotus blossom, meant to symbolize growth. Visit www.tierracast.com (wholesale only) or check your favorite bead retailer.
6. From Glass Garden Beads come two new holiday bracelet kits, Mountain Paths Candy Cane (shown above) and Holiday Ice. Each kit includes a photo of the finished bracelet, complete instructions, all supplies, and phone support fromowner Suz Klumb. Find these kits at www.glassgardenbeads.com.
7. The BeadSmith’s new releases include Miyuki spacers in 3×1.3mm and 2.2×1mm sizes and 25 colors, 9×10mm Czech-glass briolettes in 16 colors, laser-printed daggers in more than 25 colors, 5.5mm Super Khéops par Puca beads, and 5×5mm Silky beads in various colors and coatings. Visit www.beadsmith.com (wholesale only) or check your favorite bead retailer.
8. Inspired by the beautiful beaches and wildlife in Florida, Firefly Design Studio offers made-to-order ceramic beads and pendants handcrafted by owner Michelle McCarthy. Available at www.fireflydesignstudio.etsy.com and www.potterybeads.com, or find Michelle exhibiting at various bead shows.
9. Seed Bead Revolution by Sara Oehler and Kristen Fagan is a new book featuring creative ways to use Soft Flex beading wire for a variety of jewelry projects incorporating some of the most popular shaped seed beads, including SuperDuos, SuperUnos, Tilas, and more. With 32 projects exploring a variety of techniques, plus a foreword and bonus project by well-known jewelry artist Nealay Patel, this book is packed with inspiration. Visit www.softflexcompany.com to find out more.
10. All Beads CZ is offering new shapes, colors, and sizes, including two-hole half-moon 5×10mm semi-circle beads, Zoliduo 5×8mm beads available in right- or left-facing versions, pre-ordered laser cut metal elements in a variety of colors and sizes, and olive- and drop-shaped papier-mâché beads in metallic colors. Visit www.all-beads-wholesale.com (wholesale only) or check your favorite bead retailer.
11. The Cornelian Star bead from Preciosa is a new type of rocaille, combining two types of glass — an intermediate layer of white chalk with a rounded edge, creating a six-pointed star, and an overlay of transparent glass. Find these beads in a variety of colors and sizes, ranging from 8° to 34°, at www.preciosa.com (wholesale only) or check your favorite bead retailer.
12. New from Vintaj, artisan pewter bezels come in many shapes and sizes for your next mixed-media jewelry project. The sample shown uses a patina and ice resin mixture, also available from Vintaj. Check out these and other products at www.vintaj.com.
13. Adding to its BeCharmed Holiday line, Swarovski has released three new pavé beads this season: Shooting Star, Angel, and Candy. These, along with the new Pearl Bow charm, add an elegant holiday touch to your designs. Find these and more at www.swarovski.com (wholesale only) or check your favorite bead retailer.
14. A Bag Worth a Pony: The Art of the Ojibwe Bandolier Bag by Marcia G. Anderson discusses the history, materials, design motifs, and cultural significance of the bandolier bags made by the Ojibwe people, from more than thirty years of research into the bags and the artists who made them. The photography of these elaborately beaded bags and the fascinating historical photos makes this book a must-have for any bead artist. Find this stunning read at www.mnhs.org or visit your local bookstore.
Handpicked Favorites from the Interweave Shop:
Exploring New Textured Tubular Beadwork Course Series with Carol Cypher
Bead-weaving expert Carol Huber Cypher’s Exploring New Textured Tubular Beadwork series features three online courses including Polygon Stitch 101, Beyond the Basics of Polygon Stitch, and African Helix Stitch. These courses will teach you everything you need to know about these tubular stitches not commonly used in Western beading. This series is perfect for those looking to expand their bead-weaving skills and techniques. Sign up today at www.interweave.com.
Beadwork Presents: 12 Designer of the Year Projects Using Ladder Stitch, Peyote Stitch, and More.
Discover new inspiration from unique projects by Beadwork Designers of the Year Laura Andrews, Leslee Frumin, Christina Neit, Glenda Paunonen, and Liisa Turunen in Beadwork Presents: 12 Designer of the Year Projects Using Ladder Stitch, Peyote Stitch, and More. This collection will move to the top of your inspiration gallery with its designs ranging in style from elegant sparkle to Art Deco. Visit www.interweave.com to download your copy.
The staff of Beadwork invites you to send your new bead working products for consideration in Cool Stuff. Please send all submissions to email@example.com and include complete product information.
For more Cool Stuff, go to the Interweave Store!