Cool Stuff: Your New Favorite Beading Supplies
For each issue of Beadwork magazine, we comb through a host of new beading supplies and products to bring you the latest and greatest in the bead weaving and jewelry-making world. The Beadwork December/January 2020 Cool Stuff features beading supplies that make great gifts—for yourself or a friend.
1. The Freckled Pear’s Victorian Grace Ornament Kit is the perfect gift for the beader or non-beader on your list. It contains everything needed to create this gorgeous ornament—whether you want to give it to make or make it to give! There are five wonderful colors to choose from, with an option to buy refills. Buy this and lots of other beautiful ornament kits at TheFreckledPear.com.
2. Lisa Peters Art brings environmentally friendly fish leather from Iceland to the United States. A by-product of the fishing industry that would otherwise go to waste, this fish leather is processed in a plant run on renewable hydroelectric and geothermal energy—so you can feel extra good about purchasing this soft, supple leather, and not just because it’s beautiful! Lisa is adding more skins to her shop, so swim on by for more information and ideas and to purchase fish leather.
3. Show off your individual style with these Zola Elements Signature Focals. These are a selection of my favorite modern designs with a rustic, ancient feel—but there’s something for everyone in this collection of beading supplies. Lots of styles to choose from in satin gold or antique silver. Ask for them at your local retailer and check out ZolaElements.com (wholesale only) to read the blog and learn about everything Zola Elements has to offer!
4. TierraCast celebrates the endless inspiration of our planet’s five great oceans and 113 seas with the new Oceans Collection. Many of the pieces are cast from natural elements, and some are stylized at artists’ workbenches. From mermaid charms and shell pendants to 7mm bead caps and nautical-rope-decorated magnetic clasps, this collection is available in silver and gold plate. Available at TierraCast.com (wholesale only) or your favorite retailer.
5. If you are ready to step up your shaped-beads designs, check out Potomac Beads’ OvalDuos and Halo beads. The OvalDuo is a two-hole metal bead base for a 6x8mm (ss20) oval cabochon—just glue in your favorite crystal or stone. Also pictured is a two-hole bead from the Halo line that is an ingenious collection of beads all designed to fit around a wide variety of 6mm beads in one- and two-hole versions. See more of their beading supplies and purchase at PotomacBeads.com.
6. Karen Lewis of Klew’s Expressions and The Spirited Bead presents one of her polymer-clay-face cabochons now available as a kit. Each cabochon is made by hand and then matched with size 11° seed beads by the artist, so you can peyote stitch or embroider to your heart’s content. A wonderful gift for the creative person in your life, with no stressing about color choices. Visit KlewExpressions.com for more.
7. If you love Pantone’s 2019 color of the year—Living Coral—then you’ll love the Satin Touch pliers collection from The Beadsmith. Six different pliers and cutters are available individually or in a set with matching scissors and tweezer. Extrafine tips, box-joint construction, and comfortable contoured handles make these an excellent gift for yourself or the jewelry maker in your life. Ask your favorite retailer or visit Beadsmith.com (wholesale only).
8. Beaducation presents their Tall and Wide Classic Flower Vase metal design stamp. Measuring 17x13mm, this vase stamp has room for lots of flowers. Pair it with other vase designs, flowers, birds, and insects to create a design all your own. Tons of valuable information about metal stamping is available, as well as all the tools you’ll need, at Beaducation.com.
9. Keep an aspiration close to your heart (literally) with one of Nina Designs’ Mandala Affirmation Charms. Made from sterling silver, these charms have a gorgeous mandala on the front and a word with special meaning on the back. Available in five affirmations at NinaDesigns.com.
10. This nubuck strap from Leather Cord USA is the best of the best when it comes to quality and durability. Taken from the top-grain layers of the hide, it is stronger and thicker than other suedes, but it is velvety soft and pliable. Available in natural, brown, and black in 3, 5, or 10mm in a variety of quantities at LeatherCordUSA.com.
11. This copper patterned graduated paddle set from Beading on a Budget is just a taste of the awesome stuff they have in store. Hand-forged paddles ranging from 1-1/4 to 2-1/2″ are strung together in a symmetrical fan that you can use as a focal or piecemeal in many projects. Tons of handmade findings and other beading supplies made in Chicago in shiny or oxidized copper or silver and NuGold are available at the Beading on a Budget Etsy store.
12. Classic Elements from The Classic Bead is now carrying TuffCord. This 3-ply long filament nylon cord is rigid enough to use without a needle, which makes it the perfect cord to use for laddering in wrap bracelets or micro-macramé. It’s colorfast, resists fraying, and will not stretch. Available in sizes 0–7 with the largest selection of colors available in sizes 1, 3, and 5. Pick up yours at TheClassicBead.com.
13. Kits are a favorite for the holidays. They are great for giving to the crafty people in your life or for taking the guesswork out of beading a gift for someone. Caravan Beads’ Candy Dot Bracelet Kit fits the bill perfectly. Shown here in the Rock Candy colorway, it’s a sweet mix of 1.8mm Miyuki squares and 3.4mm drops, with plenty of C-Lon thread and beading needles. New kits are available every month at CaravanBeads.com.
14. ArtBeads has hundreds of colors of Toho Aikos, including these beautiful matte galvanized permanent-finish colors. These precision-cut cylinder seed beads are made by state-of-the-art technology to ensure they are extremely consistent in shape and size. They have been nicknamed “The Perfect Cylinder Bead,” and beaders around the globe can’t get enough of them. Visit ArtBeads.com to get yours!
More Beading Supplies to Treat Yourself
Share the gift of creativity this holiday season. Whether you’re shopping for an aspiring beader or want to treat yourself, these Cool Stuff beading supplies make fun, inspiring gifts. Take a peek at August/September Cool Stuff and October/November Cool Stuff columns for even more ideas. Be sure to tell your favorite vendor that you saw their products here in Beadwork!
Do you have a new tools, components, or other jewelry and beading supplies to share? Please contact me for information on how to get your products in our next issue: meredith.steele (at) peakmediaproperties (d0t) com.