Cool Stuff: 10 Awesome Beading Supplies from Beadwork
For each issue of Beadwork magazine, we comb through a host of new beading supplies and products to bring you the latest and greatest in the bead and jewelry-making world. Enjoy these October/November 2019 issue favorites.
10 Hot New Beading Supplies from Beadwork
1. Some fabulous new gemstone strands from Dakota Stones include Agate dZi Beads, all natural high quality stone chakra strands, and faceted 3mm bicones. Whether you want to benefit from the positive spiritual benefits believed to be given by the traditional Tibetan dZi (pronounced “zee”) beads or help refresh your chakra alignment, or if you just love gemstones for their natural beauty, Dakota Stones has you covered. Check out www.dakotastones.com (wholesale only) or request them at your favorite retailer.
2. If you’re a down-to-earth nature lover or if you are fascinated by the cosmos, these pieces from Nina Designs will suit your fancy. The Outer Space Collection features an adorable little astronaut and a detailed solar-system pendant, and the ever-popular Bee Collection is full of mixed-metal charms, pendants, and rings in sterling silver and bronze. Get these and tons of other amazing designs at www.ninadesigns.com.
3. These sandalwood and boxwood carved focal beads from Cherry Tree Beads are intricately detailed, lightweight masterpieces! Over 15 styles to choose from, including the (clockwise from top left) double lotus bead, the elephant head, the peaceful Buddha, the lotus flower, the coin with blue howlite center, and the flower. Get yours at www.cherrytreebeads.com.
4. There is something for everyone in the ornamental yet peaceful Blossom Collection from TierraCast. Charms, pendants, crimp-able end caps, spacer bails, pinch bails, and buttons all got the Blossom treatment, available in silver, gold, and copper plate. See more at www.tierracast.com (wholesale only) or at your favorite retailer.
5. Artbeads has lots of luscious on-trend colors of the new Ginkgo Leaf beads. There are over 50 colors to choose from. The Matubo Ginkgo Leaf bead is a two-hole shaped bead that measures 7.5mm. Nest them together in designs for a scale-like pattern, whorl them around a center rivoli, or combine them with other two-hole shaped beads to push the boundaries of your imagination. Available at www.artbeads.com.
6. If you love metal components that have a rustic warmth and a high-quality Bohemian feel, then you need to get your paws on some of Nunn Designs’ pieces. Their latest collection of items features bezels, beads, hoops, metal stamping blanks, and more that have that textured, oxidized, and rough-hewn feel that sets our creative kindling on fire. Shop online at www.nunndesign.com.
7. Designer Cynthia Kimura developed this pretty Metro Magic Aiko Ring Kit. The Aiko precision cylinder beads by Toho interlock into a perfect peyote-stitched strap. This kit contains a surplus of beads, thread, and needles to make these rings—and many more besides. Visit Artbeads.com for an overview video, tips on ring sizing, and to order your kit.
New Tools and Jewelry-Making Supplies
8. If you love creating your own bead patterns but aren’t satisfied with the two-dimensional world of grid paper or design software, the Ogees Seed Beading Design Board was made for you. Now beaders can lay out the design with their actual beads, make changes, and string or loom your final product right off the board. The Ogees Board accommodates bead sizes from 8° to 16°, and the configuration of dimples allows a variety of stitches such as peyote, herringbone, ladder, brick, square stitch, and more. Order yours today at www.ogeesseedbeadingdesignboard.com.
9. This Metalsmith’s Tool Kit from Xuron was designed to meet the special needs of metalsmiths. Use the metal shears, Maxi-Shear flush cutters, and flat-nose pliers to comfortably cut, hold, and manipulate wire and sheet metal. Create jump rings, cut up to 12-gauge wire, and bend wire without marring the surface. All wrapped up in a convenient and useful canvas tool roll. Get this kit and other precision tools made in Maine at www.xuron.com.
10. These holiday-themed metal stamps are perfect for personalizing your metal elements this winter. Available in five different snowflake designs, two Christmas trees, and a sprig of holly. See ideas on Beaducation’s DIY Ideas page and get everything you need to start stamping metal at www.beaducation.com.
What Are Your Favorite New Beading Supplies?
Do you have a new tools, components, or other jewelry and beading supplies to share? Please contact me for information on how to get your products in our next issue: meredith.steele (at) peakmediaproperties (d0t) com.