Beaded Die-Cut Leather Pendant Project, with Jill MacKay
Jill MacKay’s videos, Working with Die Cut Leather and Embellishing Leather Jewelry Components are based on cutting leather then designing jewelry using the leather pieces. The leather is cut using the Sizzix Big Shot machine along with appropriately layered plates and cutting pads found in the Sizzix Big Shot Jewelry Studio.
The Big Shot machine is designed to cut materials using shaped dies. Jill’s line of dies fall within the Sizzix Movers & Shapers Magnetic and Thinlit die lines. Both lines come in a wide variety and ever-expanding assortment of shapes.
Jill has designed a new leather pendant project for us using some fabulous color leathers and beads, created in one of her personal favorites shapes, the paisley.
Boho Paisley Leather Pendant
- (1) Sizzix findings, paisley bezel, by Jill MacKay
- (40″) .018 beading wire
- (1) 2x2mm crimp bead, silver
- 4″ square metallic orange leather, cowhide
- 3×9″ turquoise leather, cowhide
- 3×9″ deep pink leather, lambskin
- (1) 4mm turquoise crystal teardrop
- (1) 2mm turquoise crystal flat back
- (7) Crystal copper rainbow O beads
- (10) 2mm lime green bugle beads
- (14) orange luster size 11° seed beads
- (18) pink size 11° pink seed beads
- (13) purple lined size 11° seed beads
- (15) teal size 15° seed beads
- (6) orange luster size 15° seed beads
- 2 grams turquoise luster size 11° seed beads (for necklace strand)
- 1 gram size 8° mint lined seed beads (for necklace strand)
- Beading thread (I used One-G)
- Adhesive – super glue (gel formula)
- Adhesive – Fiebings leathercraft cement
- Sizzix Big Shot Jewelry Studio
- Sizzix Movers & Shapers Magnetic Die Set, paisley stack
- Hole punch (stitch rotary punch)
- Wire cutters
- Paintbrush, flat, 0.25″
- Crimping pliers
- Size 12 beading needle
- Crystal setting tool
Step 1. Cut a metallic orange leather paisley shape using the largest paisley stack die. Cut a turquoise leather pinked-edge paisley shape using the pinking edged (middle) paisley die. Cut a deep pink lambskin paisley shape using the smallest paisley stack die.
Step 2. Using the super glue gel, adhere a turquoise crystal teardrop to the deep pink leather cut out.
Tip: Other super glues will cloud Swarovski crystals, so Loctite super glue gel formula is recommended for this technique.
Step 9. String the mint size 8° and size 11° luster turquoise seed beads on beading wire until you have 36″. Add a crimp bead then pass the other end of the beading wire through the crimp. Tighten up any slack in the wire then crimp the crimp bead to finish. Trim excess beading wire with the wire cutters.
Have you been creating with Sizzix, leather, and Jill’s dies? Please share your favorites in the comment section below.
Yours in creativity,