A Free Floral Chain Maille Project From Our Friends at Blue Buddha Boutique
The way that I learned how to do basic chain maille was through a series of kits and instructions from the wonderful people over at Blue Buddha Boutique. Just as much fun as a beading kit, the chain maille kits at Blue Buddha Boutique include instructions and all the pre-cut jump rings you need to start weaving your way to chain maille bliss. Really, once I got a few of the basics down (things like opening up your jump rings in advance, learning how to use the little jump ring opener that slips over my finger like a ring), I found myself becoming lost in the lovely rhythms of opening, linking, and closing the jump rings as I created some pretty cool chain maille jewelry.
Because I'm addicted to color, I love that these Double-Triple Flower Chain Maille earrings are made with colored aluminum jump rings.
It's spring (finally!) While you wait for real flowers to bloom, why not make some cute chainmaille earrings? This project uses the common chainmaille technique of Möbiusing jump rings to create a double and triple flower chain. Personalize this project with your favorite colors for spring or any time of year!
For the flowers:
- 18 (6 each of 3 different colors) Anodized aluminum jump rings, T16 = 16ga SWG 3/8" (9.5m) (Large rings)
- 12 (4 each of 3 different colors) Anodized aluminum jump rings, L18 = 18ga SWG 1/4" (6.4mm) (Medium rings)
To connect the flowers and add the earwire:
- 4 aluminum jump rings H18 = 18ga SWG 3/16" (4.8mm) (Small aluminum)
- 2 aluminum jump rings P16 = 16ga SWG 5/16" (7.9mm) (Large aluminum)
- 2 aluminum jump rings D18 = 18ga SWG 1/8" (3.2mm) (Tiny aluminum)
1 pair surgical steel earwires
- Two pair flat nose pliers or two pair chain nose pliers OR
- Flat nose pliers and jump ring opening tool
Prep: Pre-close 3 16 gauge rings of one color anodized aluminum, and 2 18 gauge rings of one color anodized aluminum.
Are you inspired to learn more chain maille techniques? Check out Step By Step Wire Jewelry magazine! You'll find a wonderful collection of fully-illustrated wire jewelry projects (including gorgeous chain maille projects) in each issue, along with news and reviews, tools, techniques, and everything you need to know to become an expert at making wire jewelry. Subscribe to Step By Step Wire Jewelry magazine today and weave your way to beautiful chain maille projects.
P.S. You can find more tools, projects, and complete chain maille supply kits on the Blue Buddha Boutique website!