The Practical Spinner's Guide: Wool
Availability: In stock
Regular Price: $26.99
Special Price $19.88
The Practical Spinner’s Guide: Wool
By Kate Larson
For thousands of years spinners have spun stunning yarns from wool, yet there are still many unanswered questions. What kind of prepared fibers are available, and what should you do with them? How do you choose a fleece? Should you process your fleece by hand or send it to a mill? Discover the answers to these questions and many more from fiber artist and shepherdess Kate Larson in The Practical Spinner’s Guide: Wool.
Within you’ll find:
- An overview of sheep breeds and the characteristics of their fleece
- Washing, carding, combing, and blending fibers
- Purchasing and working with prepared fibers
- Techniques for spinning and plying wool to achieve the right yarn for your projects
- Advice on caring for fibers to protect them from unwanted pests and other problems
Whether you're an experienced spinner with fleeces sheared from your own flock or just learning to spin with indie dyed fibers, you'll find a wealth of useful, valuable, and practical information in The Practical Spinner's Guide: Wool.
About the Author:
Kate Larson keeps an ever-growing flock of Border Leicester sheep and teaches hand spinning and knitting regularly in central Indiana and around the country. Kate has published articles and designs in Spin-Off Magazine, Jane Austen Knits, and Knitting Sweaters from Around the World and manages the Spinner’s Connection blog at SpinningDaily.com. Follow her woolly adventures at katelarsontextiles.com.
Order your copy of the The Practical Spinner's Guide: Wool today!
|Number Of Pages||160|
|Drop Ship Message||N/A|
- Very informative ranging from inexperienced to experienced
- Love Kates book! Easy to understand and follow instructions. From washing fiber to different techniques of spinning. Great ideas! (Posted on 10/7/2016)
- Easy to understand
- I am really enjoying this book! Kate Larson explains wool so well that even a novice spinner like me can understand. (Posted on 11/17/2015)
- Very happy with my book
- A bright, informative and personal view of life through a spinner's eyes! Excellent reference material, beautifully written. One of those books you'll actually use up. Buy two, copies, you'll wear the first one out in a hurry. (Posted on 10/20/2015)
- Informative and inspiring
- I am a beginner spinner and found Kate's book a wealth of information. She shares about different breeds, skirting and washing a fleece, different ways to prepare the fleece for spinning, using prepared fibers and the difference between worsted and woolen spinning. The photos are very helpful and inspiring. I am also lucky that Kate lives locally and I can continue to learn from her in person too. (Posted on 10/13/2015)