Serger Tips, Tricks, and Troubleshooting
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
Sergers and sewing machines are wonderful sewing room companions, but sergers can befuddle even the most experienced sewing machine operator. Once you can identify key serger components and how they each affect stitch formation, you'll be able to manipulate settings like a pro. When is a 3-thread overlock preferable to a 4-thread stitch? Learn how to change stitch widths and what makes a stitch wide or narrow. What is differential feed and why is it such a fantastic serger feature?
Gail will give you a guided tour of your serger from top to bottom. She'll highlight and explain the important serger parts, how to fine-tune their adjustments and troubleshoot problems. Even when all of the machine settings are correct, results might not be perfect—why? Sometimes it's "operator technique." You'll see some common handling errors that cause failure and how to easily fix them.
Rolled hems that fall off the edges of sheer fabrics and stretched edges on knits can be discouraging. Gail will show you how to get beautiful results with just a few modifications. You'll tackle your serger projects with increased confidence and knowledge.
What You'll Learn:
- Serger components—where they are and what they do
- Overlock stitches and best choices for various construction techniques
- What is differential feed and how to manipulate it
- Common operator technique errors and how to correct them
- Stitch length and width—get the right settings
- Tension settings
- Cover stitch—major differences between cover stitch and overlock functions
About the Instructor:
Gail has been an enthusiastic sewist since middle school and is an active member of the American Sewing Guild CT Chapter. Teaching classes and interacting with all levels of sewing enthusiasts continues to be a source of inspiration and fun. Her fascination with sergers is an ongoing source of ideas for embellishments. She has taught classes and workshops across the country including American Sewing Guild National Conferences, the Puyallup Sewing & Stitchery Expo, Original Sewing & Quilt Expos, American Sewing Expo—Novi, MI and numerous American Sewing Guild Chapter events. Her Craftsy class, 40 Techniques Every Sewer Should Know is one of their bestsellers. Gail is a contributor to Threads, Sew News and Notions. F+W Media will publish her book, Serger Essentials Master the Basics & Beyond! in December 2015.
Who Should Download:
- New serger owners who need to identify serger components and how they work
- Experienced owners who want to refresh their knowledge and skills
- Sewists who want to expand and finesse their serger skills for professional results
- Owners who want to learn the "how" and "why" of manipulating serger settings
- Serger owners who need to understand why operator handling technique is equally important as correct machine settings
|Author/Speaker/Editor||Gail Patrice Yellen|
|Number Of Pages||0|
|Drop Ship Message||N/A|
|Product Type||Web Seminar Download|