Mastering the Jeweler's Saw with Thomas Mann
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
Have you ever wanted to extract shapes from materials where scissors and knives just won't cut it? Have you taken jewelry making classes where the instructor's idea of teaching you how to use the jeweler's saw only included showing you how to load a blade? Do you break saw blades just by looking at them? (Does this sound like a commercial for Veg-O-Matic?) Then let Thomas Mann take you on his special tour of what he considers the most valuable tool on the metal artist's workbench, the Jeweler's Saw.
In this web seminar, Tom will pull you through the stumbling blocks of using the jeweler's saw and illuminate the way the tool can work for you (instead of you work it)! He will teach you the importance of "Sawin' Where Y'at," how to master the "SawFile Formulae" and show you the creative power of it's versatility in the "Saw Everything!" slide show.
In this web seminar you'll learn:
- The anatomy of the jeweler's saw and how each part helps improve your sawing success.
- The importance of sawing ergonomics and how the proper grip contributes to "The Whole Body Experience."
- Sawing techniques such as starting a cut, turning a corner, piercing, and several trouble-shooting tips.
- Guidance that will open the doors of making in a powerful way!
- And much more.
About the Instructor:
Thomas Mann, an icon of the American Craft Jewelry movement, a full-time practicing professional artist for over 40 years, describes himself as an artist working in the medium of jewelry and sculpture. He works with a variety of metals, thinking of them as painters think of their palettes with each metal having its own color and luster. Inspired by parts from machines, electronic instruments, costume jewelry, and old postcards & photos, Mann's recurring but always changing parts give his work its storytelling quality and theatricality. He calls this design vocabulary, which combines industrial aesthetics and materials with evocative themes and romantic imagery, "Techno-Romantic."
Thomas Mann developed Techno.Romantic™ after years of experimenting with the idea of incorporating 20th-century collage and assemblage techniques into jewelry making. Attempting to humanize technology and provide raw material and inspiration for our imaginations.
Thomas Mann lives and works in New Orleans where he oversees a jewelry design and production studio, a sculpture studio, a gallery, and most recently a teaching space.
Who Should Attend:
- Artists & makers of every genre
- Jewelry designers who feel creatively frustrated by sawing
- Jewelry and metals Instructors & art teachers
- Those who simply want to learn!
|Number Of Pages||0|
|Drop Ship Message||N/A|
|Product Type||Web Seminar Download|
- So So
- This material is for the novice. Even so, the instruction was not specific enough for the novice. I also purchased this twice: once as a digital product and the book. I had to purchase the book because the digital product kept stopping at the same place. The IT department wasn't very helpful. (Posted on 9/3/2015)