Garment Construction Part 3: Seams and Seam Finishes for Handwoven Garments
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
Once you’ve woven your cloth, worked the pattern to get the fit right, and cut out the pieces, now is the best part of the journey. Daryl will explore areas of construction from properly reinforcing collar points to which sewing machine needles are best. You will learn what seam finishes work, when and how to best apply them, whether the garment is lined or not. Daryl will cover more than half a dozen seam finishes to stabilize and celebrate handwoven silhouettes.
In this five part series, Daryl will guide you through the entire process, from deciding what to weave, selecting the pattern, learning how to fit the pattern for the best results, and finally how to construct garments that flatter, maintain stability in the cloth and pay homage to the creative process. Daryl has spent a lifetime making garments. She became a handweaver in the 1970’s and has passionately combined the two, to create award winning garments from her handwoven fabric.
What you'll learn:
- Understand all about grainlines and how to respect them in sewing.
- Explore construction tools and techniques directly related to handwoven fabric such as needles, stitch length, and the walking foot.
- Understand how to press handwoven fabric
- Learn how to properly reinforce points and trim certain areas to reduce bulk
- Learn all about seam finishes for all types of handwoven garments.
Who should attend:
- Handweavers who would like to create garments from their yardage.
- Garment makers who would like to learn to work with fabrics that have a mind of their own.
- Handweavers and garment makers who want their garments to look polished and professional from both inside and out!
Each registration comes with access to the archived version of the event as well as any handouts referenced during the presentation. You do not have to attend the live event to get the recording of the presentation or the handouts. In all Weaving Today web seminars, no question goes unanswered. Attendees have the ability to chat with the instructor during the live event and ask questions. You will receive a copy of the web seminar presentation in an email that goes out one week after the live event. The answers to questions not covered in the live presentation will be included in this email as well.
About the instructor: Daryl Lancaster, a hand-weaver and fiber artist known for her hand-woven garments, has been sewing for more than 45 years. She gives lectures and workshops to guilds, conferences, and craft centers all over the United States. The former Features Editor for Handwoven Magazine, she frequently contributes to various weaving and sewing publications. Daryl maintains a blog at www.weaversew.com/wordblog
|Number Of Pages||0|
|Drop Ship Message||N/A|
|Product Type||Web Seminar Download|
- Another Excellent Webinar
- I've thoroughly enjoyed Daryl Lancaster's webinar series, and this was another excellent video. Daryl's information and visuals are clear, practical, and incredibly helpful. She is an excellent speaker and teacher--I highly recommend this. (Posted on 8/8/2015)