Metalsmith Essentials: Special Stone Settings: Saddle and Strap with Michael Boyd
You'll love this if:
- You want to learn two alternative ways to mount stones
- You want to learn stone cutting and polishing techniques you can use for any lapidary project
- You want to learn basic gemstone information applicable to all your jewelry designs
Mount your stones in saddles and straps
Take your jewelry to the next level with two artisan setting designs
Join expert metalsmith Michael Boyd for his video workshop that will teach you two alternative gemstone mounts: the saddle and the strap. Both gemstone settings allow for flat and round stones to be used in earrings, necklaces, and pendants. Begin by brushing up on your stone cutting and polishing skills so you can modify any stone to fit your needs. Next, dive into the saddle setting, where you will learn Michael's tips for cutting metal, drilling a hole through your stone, and finishing the setting with tube rivets. Finally, explore the strap setting, where you learn how to cut into your stone and polish for a clean finish, and create a workable bail. Discover the design possibilities at your fingertips with these alternative setting techniques.
Order or instantly download your copy of this workshop video today to:
- Rethink how you use stones in your jewelry with these flexible setting techniques.
- Learn stone cutting processes that will enable you to go from slab to beautiful gemstone.
- Learn alternative methods for working with large stone setting machinery so you can complete the same tasks at your small-scale workbench.
- Get helpful tips for carving into your stones and expertly polishing them with Michael's wealth of stone cutting knowledge.
- Discover Michael's trick for balling wire next to your stone with success.
- And much more!
About the Artist:
Michael Boyd is a progressive and innovative jeweler who uses unusual, rare, and traditional materials in his work. His background as a painter and colorist combines with his ability as a stone cutter to define both form and structure in his work. With stone as a medium, Michael blends and integrates these materials with precious metal in a bold, signature style. He is on the editorial board of and a frequent contributor to Lapidary Journal Jewelry Artist and is a two-time Saul Bell Design Award winner and a member of the American Jewelry Design Council. His work appears in nationally acclaimed craft shows and private and museum collections; to see it, visit www.michaelboyd.com. Learn additional stone setting and cutting tips from Michael with his other two video workshops: Stone on Stone Setting with Michael Boyd and Basic Cabochon Cutting for Jewelry Makers.
|Number Of Pages||0|
|Drop Ship Message||N/A|
- Not For Beginners!
This is the last item I will order from Interweave. The product descriptions are not adequate. The techniques in this video require experience in cutting stone. Also, there was nothing to warn potential customers that they could not even use one of the two techniques unless they owned an oxy/acetylene (little) torch. I want my money back!
Customer has been contacted. (Posted on 7/23/2016)
- Spectacular video!!!!!
- II just can't believe how many useful and unusual techniques are demonstrated in this excellent video. As he also demonstrates in his other videos, Michael Boyd has developed really creative ways to address jewelry-making issues. And I like the fact that he gets through the projects in an unfussy way that makes them easy to follow. He is a first rate instructor! (Posted on 4/3/2016)