Big and Lofty Yarns DVD
When you start spinning, it seems like all you can spin are fat, lumpy yarns--then you get the hang of it and figure out how to make fine, smooth, thin yarns, and you spend the rest of your spinning career trying to figure out how to make those smooth yarns big and lofty. In this video, Maggie Casey demystifies the process, explaining just how to make miles of the soft big yarns you want to knit, weave, and crochet with.
With this workshop, you will:
- Prepare you wool on a drumcarder.
- Learn how to adjust your wheel's take-up.
- Use the perfect drafting technique for trapping air in your yarn and getting it on your bobbin as quickly as possible.
- Learn how to preserve the loftiness of the yarn through plying and finishing.
Maggie Casey's soothing voice and gentle encouragement are surpassed only by her spinning knowledge gleaned through years of teaching at her spinning shop in Boulder, Colorado. Let her guide you on your spinning journey to a land of big, beautiful yarns--made by you!
- Might be good for beginnners
This dvd seems confused. At first it seems she's aiming it at people who have learned to spin finer and finer but struggle to go back to bulky spinning, but then she spent the rest of the dvd explaining things as if her audience has never used a wheel before.
Also, she presents lots of things as fact which really aren't. There are lots of different ways to achieve the same result. For instance you don't have to pre-draft to get less twist in the fibre - you could simply treadle slower, draft faster, or use a bigger whorl/pulley. Experienced spinners are unlikely to find anything new in this but beginners might like it. (Posted on 7/19/2015)
- only for single drive wheels?
- I enjoyed Maggie's presentation and have only one bone to pick with her - I think an experienced spinner CAN produce a big soft yarn with a double drive wheel! So don't let Maggie's penchant for single drive wheels deter you from buying this DVD if you happen to have a double drive wheel. If you understand how your wheel works, then you can make a lofty soft singles on any wheel! (Posted on 12/11/2013)
- Big & Lofty
- Maggie Casey makes everything crystal and it all makes sense, especially when you see her work. It makes sense that in order to get big and lofty yarns you need to feed the fiber quickly onto the bobbin, but I never imagined that air was the other half of that equation. The video takes you from beginning: which fibers are best, how to prepare the fiber, how best to set up your wheel and then she spins. Watching her work, seeing the results of her spinning and, most important to me, her finished yarn isn't exactly perfect so there's no pressure to get it exactly like hers. Best of all, I can watch this video over and over, pick out the bits that I need the most help with and I can even kind of spin-along. After spending years squeezing all the air out of my yarn, it's a big challenge to let it back in. Maggie is the best teacher, in my opinion, to take me through the transition. I highly recommend Maggie Casey as a teacher, and this video as a great learning tool. (Posted on 1/31/2012)
- yay for bulky yarns!
- I'd say that I am an intermediate to advanced spinner. I've spun LOTS of yarn, but I still find that I can learn new things if I am open to it. I really enjoyed this DVD. Maggie's approach is casual, warm, and easy to follow. It's like having a chat with a friend in the yarn shop... a friend who really knows her stuff. Beginning spinners will get a lot out of this lesson as the approach is holistic. It covers everything from types of fiber preparations, wheel setup, to drafting methods. I would recommend that beginners check out Start Spinning first though. More advanced spinners will get tips on how to tweak and fine-tune the skill of spinning these amazing yarns. I've spun lots of bulky yarns, but they haven't been as lofty as I would like. Maggie Casey gives some really simple techniques that can make all the difference. I got a nice refresher on important details I may have forgotten or overlooked and I just know this DVD is going to get me out of my spinning rut. (Posted on 11/21/2011)
- very helpful
- Two stars? We all have to start somewhere... i'm a beginner and i loved the dvd. The information was on point, because, I found it rather challenging trying to teach myself how to spin lofty singles until i viewed this dvd. The instructions are given clearly and in a manner, that you don't have to keep rewinding the dvd to get the point. I understand now, which fibers make a better lofty spun yarn and how to create it. (Posted on 11/8/2011)
- Big and lofty yarns
- This product is a wonderful product which is covers the subject fully, clearly and beautifully. i have searched high and low for this information and so everything on this tutorial has been memorised and used by me to produce the perfect big lofty yarns i have always yearned for. The information is delivered in an unhurried way and giving extra information and tips along the way. This DVD offers a high standard, excellent quality and I can't recommend it enough. (Posted on 10/3/2011)
- Great for beginners
- If you are a newer spinner and want to spin big, evenly bulky, yarns, then you will learn a valuable lesson about drafting and plying. If you're an experienced spinner, everything on this video can be summed up in about 5 sentences [which I won't give away]. There is ONE drafting technique and ONE plying technique on this video, and a tip about how to feed fiber onto your drum carder. Beginners may just love it. (Posted on 9/5/2011)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed. To access and save your download please follow these instructions:
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner on this website
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click “Welcome, (your name)!” in the upper right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on “My Downloadable Products” *If you have purchased an online course, click "My Courses"
- Underneath the Product title will be the download link, click the link to view the PDF or Video
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click “Save”
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org